Sign in to follow this  

Fork seal advice

Should I waste my time with stock fork seals? The seals in it are only 2 years old, and are oem and leak. What do you guys use? BTW the bike is a 2001 yz125.

Two years is a reasonable life for fork seals. You might get them to last longer if you keep the fork legs really clean.

OEM are tough to beat.

2 Years. That is awesome!

OEM are well priced and I think they work well. We give our bikes a good thrashing and don't have many seal problems. I have also used the K/L seals from Rockymountain with good results. You can get a Tusk brand seal driver from them at a great price too.

OEM seals are the best. also to extend the life change the fork oil more often

I prefer OEM clutches over aftermarket also

I like the shock sox to help with seal life--here in Manie its all mud and rocks sometimes and it's amazing how clean these things keep the forks---I like the shock sox cause they are easy to remove and clean after each ride---I am about to buy replacement seals as well and was about to go with 'synergy seals'---but it sounds like most prefer OEM (right?)--thanks Brian

I can't say I have ever noticed a difference with fork seal life. Keeping the forks clean is about the only thing I ever noticed. Lots of mud, equaled low fork seal life. Dry summers and prepped tracks equals long life. I used to dread having them blow out but now I don't care cause I know how to change them.

Also, do you have to buy the fork seal driver and the oil tube thing? I am thinking about just buying it now, get it over with, and to have them in the future..

I think you need the Motion Pro Fork tube. As you need to measure how much the fluid is form the top. Not really a specific amount.

The fork seal driver makes it real easy otherwise you will probably get pissed off. If you are handy you can make a PVC pipe driver. That would be cheaper.

Never tried the Tusk seals. After using their clutch and brakes, I stay away from Tusk for performance parts.

I think you need the Motion Pro Fork tube. As you need to measure how much the fluid is form the top. Not really a specific amount.

The fork seal driver makes it real easy otherwise you will probably get pissed off. If you are handy you can make a PVC pipe driver. That would be cheaper.

Never tried the Tusk seals. After using their clutch and brakes, I stay away from Tusk for performance parts.

Is their clutch bad? I was about to buy the set today! I am going to make a new thread.. brb