Sign in to follow this  

Lowering a DRZ-400 SM!?

First post...and I searched! I'm picking up a low mileage 2006 DRZ-400 Supermoto this week, all stock. I sat on one and my feet are all the way flat against the ground. I'm about 5'7 140 lbs. What's the correct way to lower one an inch to a couple of inches?

I'm stoked..it'll be my first bike...thanks to a friend of mine who owned a DRZ a couple of years ago. :)

If your feet are flat against the ground why would you lower it?

Mine had a gel seat on it when I got it and they have a lower profile than a

stock seat. I'm still on my toes though. There is also a lowering link you

can get that swaps out with a couple stock parts and lowers the bike.

Search lowering link. You'll find tons of info on here.

dont lower it....

if you can touch even a little dont do it...

remember, when you ride your feet are off the ground, dont start modding it and chaning it for when youll be waiting at a red light....

btw i bought mine not long ago...i was stoked too, youll frikking love it...i am coming from the world of 120hp racing bikes, and this thing is still a god damn blast like nothing else...

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't lower it if you can put your

feet flat on the ground. I'm not lowering mine, and

all I can do is touch my toes on the ground if I sit

square on the seat. My legs are so short, when I

mount up, I push off with my left foot, to get the

rest of the way on. It's not that I'm really that

short, I'm 5'7".....but my inseem is about 28 inches.

I'd be happy being about to sit and be on the balls

of my feet. But I'm still not lowering it to achieve that.

Enjoy your new Bike!

Regards Sonny

I am 5'8" and the balls of my feat touch the ground. I am going to get a gel seat. Those sit about an inch lower. And they are supposed to be more comfortable. That should be the clearance I need to touch the ground comfortably! If not I can check the pre-load on the rear spring. Previous rides was about 70lbs heavier.

I can put the balls of my feet on the ground, but I can't put my feet on the floor. I sat on a 2007 DRZ-400 SM, it's not the same one I'm buying.

What brand gel seats are you guys using?

I'm pretty sure mine is right from suzuki. Honestly don't know. What color is your seat? This one is all black. I'd love to have an origional seat though.

Anybody want to trade? My bike is yellow.

I can put the balls of my feet on the ground, but I can't put my feet on the floor. I sat on a 2007 DRZ-400 SM, it's not the same one I'm buying.

What brand gel seats are you guys using?

You have conflicting posts...

The first one says you can have your feet flat, this one says you can't...

Personally, if you have both balls of your feet on the ground, you'll be fine...

Sorry for the conflicting posts. I meant to say that I can put the balls of my feet on the ground, but I can't put my feet flat. My seat is all black and I might consider trading for a gel seat, but I'd like to try it out first.

Millie, I got your PM. At this time I don't think I'm going to lower the bike. I haven't sat on the one I'm buying yet, it may sit a little lower. Who knows.

Before you do anything regarding lowering, you need to set the race sag. Now, the springs on the bike are designed for a heavier rider, about 175 though I do not think that will be a big issue. Set the sag. Then sit on the bike. If you can still touch both feet (if only tippy toed) I would not lower the bike. If you are nervous, then either try a gel seat (lowers the seat area about 1 inch), have your seat shaved or try a Renazcco or Corbin seat.

All SM's are the same seat height. If you sense a variation betweeen bikes and they are the same exact bike (meaning no seat modificatio0ns) then the difference is the sag setting. It must be set right for your weight.

Is there an article on how to adjust the race sag? How much does seat shaving cost, generally?

Search is your friend. I could be your friend for a nice sammich.

On the first page off TT are links to all the nooks and cranies (Kooks and crazies?). There you will see a technical sect, and a sub group for suspension. Being I am just so darned terrific, I present you with the link:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=98

Seat shaving can be a do-it-yourself deal, if you feel up to it. You remove the staples on the seat. Borrow your wifes electric carving knife. Mark the seat and go like Edward Sissorhands on it. If it makes you nervous, and auto upholstery shop can do it.

Thanks William. Cool, I'll see if I can find an auto upholstery shop around here. I'm 23 and happily single, so no wife. :)

Haha...my parents live 5 hours away. I'm in College :)

Anyways, I think I'm going to take the advice here and leave the bike at its stock height. The balls of my feet are on the ground, so I think I should be fine.

Hey Jason, quit being a girl and ride it! :flipoff2: :)

Hey Jason, quit being a girl and ride it! :flipoff2: 👍

Shut up! I'm picking it up tomorrow! :flipoff2:

C'mon, Jason, make with the pictures already. 👍