Sign in to follow this  

Road Rash Pain Relief

:) I searched the forums the forum the best I could but didn't see anything about this topic.

I live in Texas it hits 105 degrees here daily. I try to be good about wearing my helment, but really don't like wearing a full Kevlar outfit in this freak'ing heat.

Anyway I went out Thurday night to have some fun with my son hitting the clubs and resturants. I was sensible and didn't drink too much, but on Texas blessed us with one of its famous insane ran storms. Even though I was cruising on the service road at 30-40mph I managed to loose traction/hydroplane on my Perelli Rally Crosses, wreck and slide along the ashfalt.

Getting to the point... Its seems the roadrash pain factor gis gettin worse by the day. Is this normal? Are there any pain relief ointments that are better then others? I can more or less hack it during the day, but sleeping is pretty uncomfortable.

Any suggestions would be appreciated with regard to pain relief and general care of the wounds.

Thank you,

Chris M.

Richardson, TX

The only pain relief I have ever found that is worth a dam, you need to smoke :D

And next time, wear the gear :banghead:

Neil. :):worthy::ride:

Well unfortunately my hook-up ain't around anymore. Guess I'll goe some a half-way decent cigar and see what happens. Many I'm not kidding this really hurts.... and I'm pretty good at taking pain....

Does anyone else have anything besides weed to help?

Thanks,

Chris M.

Pain is a reminder that were alive!, Keep the rash moist with some neosporin. It's going to hurt for a few days. what ever you do don't scratch it.

as hot as it is

I always say

Better Sweat then Bleed

Heal up

and i hope its a reminder next time you Dont want to wear gear .

I feel your pain!!

I just(2 weeks ago) ate a gravel road with nothing more than a t-shirt and shorts on!(and I only road like that 2 other time in 10 yrs!)

Cost me a new set of bars and some scars on the left side of me.

Just keep 'em moist w/neosporin and maybe covered at night.

3 days for riding 1 - 1 1/2 weeks for full recovery---just don't pick at them!!They are gonna itch in a few days.

I went on a 150 plus mile asphalt ride today in the mountains of VA wearing my MX boots reinforced jeans, REV-IT kevlar and gloves. Temps were close to 90 degrees. Road at about 85% of my abililty with 4 other riders. ALL of us in gear. We were stopped on RT 60 so I rode up to see what was up. Ends up a Harley with husband and wife went down. Another Harley wife and husband team RAN OVER the wife on the other bike. Now they are down. When I got on scene there were a bunch of onlookers but only one medic. I helped as best I could being a former EMT/Firefighter until we loaded them up and they airlifted the female that was run over. They had on jeans and t-shirts and were in BAD shape. I'll be surprised if she makes it. I rather sweat then end up like that......

get a mesh jacket, literally feels no different than a t-shirt once you're moving.

When I had the rash I had the "blessing" of a broken wrist and the lortab that came along with it...I didn't really notice the missing skin so much.

As everyone has said, keeping it moist is important.

Neosporin is good too. I've had some bad rash in

the past, and I still remember how it felt pulling off

the bandages, when they dried on........or worse yet

my t shirt stuck to the wound.......It definitely does

suck, but you will survive.

Regards Sonny

Interesting, I was thinking the exact same thing. I ate it on the SM a couple days ago. Coming around an uphill, 90 degree blind left hander, and the sum b!tch was covered in about an inch of fresh chat. Knew I was going down the second I saw it, there was no saving it what so ever.

I was wearing gloves, MX boots, leather jacket, and a helmet, and only my left knee got banged up, but it got roughed up pretty good. No real damage to the bike other than rash on the barkbuster and a couple of very small scratches on the left side.

Only thing I'm mad about is that I was stupid and did not wear my 1pc leather suit. I was geared up well enough that other than my legs, I literally could not tell I ever went down. Probably $100 to restore the bike to brand new condition if I really wanted to. To do the same to my sportbike, it would be between $3,000-$4,000!

Any suggestions would be appreciated with regard to pain relief and general care of the wounds.

Lemon juice. Has to be straight squeezed from the fruit, not that junk in a bottle.

I keed I keed.

I always looked at pain as God's way of letting you know you're still alive after doing something stupid.

hydrogen peroxide will burn tissue thats any worse than first degree burn. so if it's real road rash don't use it. if it bleeds(worse than first degree) DON"T USE IT! same with neosporin(bacatracin and noemycin only after the deep gouges are gone) basically. silvadene(silver sulfadiazanine) is same it'll irritate the tissues rather than heal.

the amish make a burn and wound ointment (B&W is the name even) out of beeswax, honey, burdock and myrrh. soothes and heals like a mofo!

i hit a deer in shorts and a t shirt 2 months ago. i still have rash on my ankle afte 2 months! but the crap works light years better than anything like neosporin. i have had road rash hundreds of time and that stuff is by far the only stuff i'll use now! hell, i may become amish so i know how to make it! lol, ok maybe not!

--keith

I used Walgreens Aloe Vera Gel on an abrasion that I have on my right thigh. It kept it moist and relieved the itch quite well. Good luck to you.

Hit a pole in a Miata. Broken hip, pelvis, back, eviscerated left abdominal wall, lost 1/2 colon, 2 collapsed lungs, head injury, 36 days in coma, 7 months in air-bed. Silvadene saved my life. Very, very expensive though.

The only other thing that will help, but only temporarily, are those topicals that contain Benzocaine or Lidocaine. You can even get your doctor to prescribe a higher concentration not available OTC.

:

I try to be good about wearing my helment, but really don't like wearing a full Kevlar outfit in this freak'ing heat.

I was sensible and didn't drink too much,

OK, I can't believe I'm the only one who read these words and didn't take immediate notice. I honestly thought that this might just be a troll.

Without trying to be too preachy, a helmet and other protective gear is a personal choice to make, but not "drinking too much".?.?.?.

Booze + motorcycle = death. Do some research on single vehicle motorcycle fatalities.

I think your pain is someone's way of trying to remind you that you got away with one. Relish the fact that you can still feel pain and live to learn a lesson.

With that said, I'm glad you're ok and good luck with the wounds.

get a mesh jacket, literally feels no different than a t-shirt once you're moving.

When I had the rash I had the "blessing" of a broken wrist and the lortab that came along with it...I didn't really notice the missing skin so much.

Yea its not that bad, I have one for my cruiser... Just don't wear the mesh shirt... :)

As the road rash heals, the skin crusts. As I am sure you know by now, every movement feels like it is tearing (which it is) your skin. Keeping the wounds wet with Vitamin E will keep it supple and enable a little bit of stretch.

The more you move the damaged areas if the wounds have dried out, the worse the scars will be.

Regarding pain and discomfort, Hydrocodine, Percodan, Percocet Oxycodine and that old favorite, Morphine. not all at once unless you need it.....

Without trying to be too preachy, a helmet and other protective gear is a personal choice to make, but not "drinking too much".?.?.?.

Booze + motorcycle = death.

LOL, it's still a personal choice... not always the smartest one... but a personal choice nonetheless.