Sign in to follow this  

xr250r or xr200r forks on the 230f questions

I've searched around here and found out that the easiest fork transplants are the xr200r and xr250r forks, But what years would work? Also i read that the steering stem is a problem on the xr250r's, so what needs to be done to it? Willl the 230 wheel and brake work with the xr200r front end?

I've searched around here and found out that the easiest fork transplants are the xr200r and xr250r forks, But what years would work? Also i read that the steering stem is a problem on the xr250r's, so what needs to be done to it? Willl the 230 wheel and brake work with the xr200r front end?

The CRF230F fork is better than any year of the XR200R forks. Only the late model (1996 up) XR250R forks are truely better.

It would honestly be easier to upgrade the CRF230F forks with a Race Tech Emulator kit and Progressive Suspension fork springs. Works wonders on the XR200R forks.

Dwight :)

Oh yeah, I've heard of these, but don't you have to drill stuff to install them? Where to buy?

***WARNING! OFF TOPIC NOOB QUESTION BELOW***

Also, the main jet for the 230 carb is a keihin(sp?) hex type right? And what kind is the pilot jet?

I disagree. The forks on my wifes 88 XR200 are miles better than her new 230. Longer travel, larger diameter, adjustable damping and just plain work better. I wouldn't use them for a swap however since the CR125 forks give a much better final result for not much extra work and you would have to weld on the disc caliper mounts.

how much harder is it to put on the cr125 forks? 'cuz there are tons of great deals on USD forks on ebay. The main thing i'm worried about with converting to different forks is if the 230 wheel will work with the different forks. I'd love to have USD forks, but at what cost..... I'm pretty much sold on the fork emulators, but if converting to USD isn't too big of a struggle then i'd be interested in that also.

I disagree. The forks on my wifes 88 XR200 are miles better than her new 230. Longer travel, larger diameter, adjustable damping and just plain work better. I wouldn't use them for a swap however since the CR125 forks give a much better final result for not much extra work and you would have to weld on the disc caliper mounts.

The 1986-88 XR200R forks are NOT adjustable and are 36mm. The CRF230F forks are 37mm.

The Race Tech Emulators and the forks springs are available from your local Parts Unlimited Dealer.

how much harder is it to put on the cr125 forks? 'cuz there are tons of great deals on USD forks on ebay. The main thing i'm worried about with converting to different forks is if the 230 wheel will work with the different forks. I'd love to have USD forks, but at what cost..... I'm pretty much sold on the fork emulators, but if converting to USD isn't too big of a struggle then i'd be interested in that also.

I actually prefer Standard forks to USD forks. They are much plusher and less suseptable to damage to the tubes.

Its not too hard. I pickedup some 85 CR125 conventional forks and triples on ebay for $50. Good shape and with $40 for seals and oil they are ready to go. The 230 fender, axle, caliper, and bearings fit other than the steering stem being 5/8" too long. This can be made up with spacers (washers) or shorten the stem somehow (what I am planning). I don't have them on yet so I might be missing something but so far everything looks straighforward. The most work has been cleaning/polishing the aluminum of the triples and fork legs. Cam.

Will any of this help raise the crf230L (if you can swap forks with one)? I would like some more ground clearance since i'm rather heavy.

Yes, the 85 CR125 forks are longer and have about 10.5" travel, 1" more than stock. They will raise the bike although then you would need to raise the rear with the works performance shock. I am actually lowering the front a bit from stock by shortening the new fork to 8.5" travel.

Yes, the 85 CR125 forks are longer and have about 10.5" travel, 1" more than stock. They will raise the bike although then you would need to raise the rear with the works performance shock. I am actually lowering the front a bit from stock by shortening the new fork to 8.5" travel.

Nice...So does anyone know if any of these shocks/forks will fit a crf230L? Or is the bike still too new....

ok i'm trying to go the other way. want to improve the front suspension on my wife's crf230f but she is very vertically challenged. we put a kouba link on the rear and slid the front forks up through the triple clamps about 1 1/4" and that helped but still could be a little shorter. i have a works performance shock coming for the rear suspension that will be 1/2" shorter than stock, so that will lower the rear another 1-1 1/2". if that is too much, we will simply take out the kouba link. but the front suspension is still lacking. i looked at the reger engineering cr85 conversion and currently have a front end off of a cr250 for experimenting. i also have access to a cr125 front assembly (complete including triple trees, etc). i would love to use one of those if it is not too much of a problem making them match up - providing they do not increase the front height of the bike very much. the cr250 forks look much longer than the current stock forks, but with proper springs, etc, they might actually be a much more plush ride - and still compress enough that when she is on the bike, the bike will still be around the same seat height that it is at now.

anyone know if the cr125 or cr250 front forks would dramatically increase the front height of the crf230 compared to stock?

already have tried race tech emulators and different springs in front forks - a "suspension" expert said they would help, but the springs are much stiffer than stock and the front seems to be locked somewhat in position with very little rebound and little compression. at least, i am going back to a stock spring or softer spring more for my wife's weight.

thanks. dave

Big Doc,

That is the conversion I am doing to my wife's bike. The CR125 forks were easy to shorten. I figure 8" of great travel is better than the stock 9.5" of lousy travel. I took about 2.25" travel out of the CR125 forks.

did the cr125 forks change during certain year periods?

i currently have a set of good used cr250 forks / triple clamps / triple tree -1985 model, but have access to a set of 1999 cr125 forks / triple clamps / triple tree that are in really nice shape. trying to avoid machining the races, etc - and get by with only having to use a spacer or machine the stem itself if possible.

the cr250 front forks seem to be much longer than 230 stock and i would like to keep the bike fairly short for my wife if possible.

After having emulators installed in my forks, I don't see the reasoning behind different forks on the 230. I honestly don't see any advantage as the stock forks work great for trail/off-road riding.

Could I increase travel with the rear shock via Works (when it becomes available for the 230L) without having to get better forks? I'm just trying to make a street bike better for off road without having to sell a kidney.

A

big doc,

You can lower those 250 forks easily. I built a 230 for my wife and lowered the front about 2".