Sign in to follow this  

'08 KTM EXC450R Questions

I am seriously considering purchasing a 45o EXC R dual sport and have a few questions I am hoping someone has the answers for:

1. Does this bike have much motor vibration?

2. Does the bike have a fairly wide ratio tranny?

3. Does the bike ride well in tight single track?

4. I am about 245lbs, but I like a smaller bike for the mountains (Big Bear), is the 450 much different than the 530? I just came off a TE510 and thought it was a bit of a handful on tight stuff.

5. Whats with the Design?? problem with the tansfer of engine oil to the tranny and vise versa? Has this been a big problem? Is it not if, but when this happens? Should I purchase new in order to have a factory warrenty?

6. Is there much difference between the '07, '08, and the '09 EXC 450 R?

Thanks in advance for the help?

Oh yea, would you buy this model and year of KTM for dual sporting?

ive only ridden stock 450 & 530 around a field they dont feel that much different handling wise but the power is a fair bit more fierce on the 530. sorry i cant give anymore detail

I ride up to big bear from my house down in the foot hills, Highland(SBC), and can tell you this bike handles very well, feels light, and the tranny is so wide you will have to gear it down.

my bike came with a 6 month warranty, so... if it does run into those problems, it will be done free of charge.

they vibrate like 20% that of what a yamaha will, which is good, especially hearing that ktms vibrated alot. my bike is plenty fast on and off the road

I am seriously considering purchasing a 45o EXC R dual sport and have a few questions I am hoping someone has the answers for:

1. Does this bike have much motor vibration?

2. Does the bike have a fairly wide ratio tranny?

3. Does the bike ride well in tight single track?

4. I am about 245lbs, but I like a smaller bike for the mountains (Big Bear), is the 450 much different than the 530? I just came off a TE510 and thought it was a bit of a handful on tight stuff.

5. Whats with the Design?? problem with the tansfer of engine oil to the tranny and vise versa? Has this been a big problem? Is it not if, but when this happens? Should I purchase new in order to have a factory warrenty?

6. Is there much difference between the '07, '08, and the '09 EXC 450 R?

Thanks in advance for the help?

Oh yea, would you buy this model and year of KTM for dual sporting?

Just got back from a dual sport ride on my 08 450excr. Live in San Diego and was rippin around the NAS Miramar area. Very happy with this bike. Have had 525, 03 and 06 EXC and XC. (and a KXF 450 also). This new style motor is definately less vibration than the old style motor. Power is fine. Very smooth, quiet, and idles very smoothly. I have the KTM radiator fan installed and recommend it. It was on a couple times today crawling through the tight stuff. Bike is very nimble and tracks very well. Very tall also. I'm 6'2" and it fits me but may be a bit tall for others. Trans is wide ratio and has a gear for everything. Seemed a bit wide for the moto track I was on, but perfect for everything else. (Even the freeway gettin there) Cruise at 70 no problem.

Your #5 question is not clear to me. Old style engine shared oil throughout the engine. Clutch contaminates the oil and that can be a problem. New style seperates crank and tranny. Eliminates old problem. (you other KTM guys can correct me if I'm wrong here). New style engine lubrication should work better than old style.

I bought mine used, but it included a (5) year warranty and spare set of supermoto wheels !! You should buy one now !! Next years will cost more.

he was asking about the seals failing in the new engine, and the oil mixing between the trans and engine.

but it seems like they fixed the problem

Just got back from a dual sport ride on my 08 450excr. Live in San Diego and was rippin around the NAS Miramar area. Very happy with this bike. Have had 525, 03 and 06 EXC and XC. (and a KXF 450 also). This new style motor is definately less vibration than the old style motor. Power is fine. Very smooth, quiet, and idles very smoothly. I have the KTM radiator fan installed and recommend it. It was on a couple times today crawling through the tight stuff. Bike is very nimble and tracks very well. Very tall also. I'm 6'2" and it fits me but may be a bit tall for others. Trans is wide ratio and has a gear for everything. Seemed a bit wide for the moto track I was on, but perfect for everything else. (Even the freeway gettin there) Cruise at 70 no problem.

Your #5 question is not clear to me. Old style engine shared oil throughout the engine. Clutch contaminates the oil and that can be a problem. New style seperates crank and tranny. Eliminates old problem. (you other KTM guys can correct me if I'm wrong here). New style engine lubrication should work better than old style.

I bought mine used, but it included a (5) year warranty and spare set of supermoto wheels !! You should buy one now !! Next years will cost more.

great bikes, I have a 530. They need carefull set up to perform as they should. You can get a new 08 with a 5 year warranty for the same price as a 09 with a 6 month warranty. Your call.

DBM

great bikes, I have a 530. They need carefull set up to perform as they should. You can get a new 08 with a 5 year warranty for the same price as a 09 with a 6 month warranty. Your call.

DBM

Is this a promotion at your local dealer or is this NA wide? I have never seen a 5 yr warranty on a dirt bike before.

Oldcow

Is this a promotion at your local dealer or is this NA wide? I have never seen a 5 yr warranty on a dirt bike before.

Oldcow

its 500 dollars for the 5 year warranty through chaparral for my bike. my bike was discounted 2000 dollars off MSRP for being an 08. your call though.

THESE THING RIP, got to blow off some steam today, and i'm so glad that engine is broken in, I LOVE WHEELIES, so i guess... I LOVE KTM 👍

Hey Straightwire:

I just bought a 450 last month and love it,but

It does have some vibration on the street & w/ a KTM aluminum skid plate it reverberates alot of engine noise.(maybe a carbon fiber would be quieter)

This bike smokes on the single track, actually it steams on single track if you don't get the cooling fan & gear it down (i'm running 14/50 sprockets as opposed to 15/45 stock)or better yet just bite the bullet & go for the SIX DAY edition that already has these mods plus bar risers. If the dealer would have told me about them I would have gone for one,plus they have the cool graphics.

The bike is not a handfull, especially if you rode a 510, it's light & well balanced. Up here in Washington we don't have woods we have Rain Forests with big rocks,stumps,roots & really big trees that are really close together & it does great.

I really wouldn't reccomend this bike for dual-sport because it's not, it's a street legal enduro machine (the seat is really hard & narrow)once you get it re-jetted & get rid of the emissions you won't want to go on the road except for the occasional gallon of milk @ the corner market.

Now the final point about the oil mystery.You can read my thread about "gaining oil" & I'll keep TT posted with the results.