Sign in to follow this  

Cautions for washing a new 08 with EFI??

Just rode my new 08 for the first time today and now I need to wash it. Besides the owner's manual telling you to cover the side number plate slots for the airbox and placing a bag over the air filter, I didn't see anything else in the manual about using caution when washing the bike. I know this may sound like a silly question, but is there anything to look out for when spraying your bike off in regards to the EFI? I thought maybe with some of the electronic pieces and all, but I'm sure they're sealed up fine. I don't use a high pressure washer, just my garden hose with a nozzle. Anyway, just thought I'd check with you guys. Any input is appreciated. Thanks. :)

I just cover the air filter, not the slots on the number plates. I also use a silencer plug. When I get finished washing it, I blow it off with a blower. I do this for the same reason you are asking this question, the electronics. Everytime I wash a bike I use a blower to blow it off. Check the bolts after you wash it. The bolt on the rear fender above the silencer, check it. If you haven't already greased everything, do it. There was no grease on mine. Good Luck, the bike is great.

Also worthy of note is that we never had any problems with water infiltrating the system during our rabid power-washing sessions, and we didn't go easy on it either, hosing the system directly from all angles.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=6523

6th paragraph, half way down the first page. Interesting read really. :D

Hope this helps. :)

-iRock

I use a power washer and have had no issues.I just cover the side number plate inlet holes with duct tape and a silencer plug and go at it.ENJOY!