Sign in to follow this  

Lowering Link

I purchased this lowering link as I am inseam challenged....

*Mountain Motorsports Lowering Link -- http://www.mountainmotorsports.biz/p...ring-link.aspx

I dropped the forks about 1.5 inches too. I feel much more stable on the bike now and it was a great improvement. My confidence level is much higher now.

My question is to anyone who has used this link. What did you do to make the bike more stable because of the length of the kickstand now? It sits almost verticle on the stand.

Yep, I have the same problem...Might just take it off, then take a grinder to it. Or hack saw the end off and get a buddy to weld a new little pad on the bottom...Either way, yeah, it's gotta be shorter now.

For now I just have to be careful where I park. I either lean it against stuff or find a downward slope..lol

Hi,

Your link didn't work for me. Ends up being "bad request". Couple of questions for you:

1) Which one did you get? the 1.5 one or the 2.5 one?

2) did you play with the factory lowering?

I did yamalink like many folks here. I did the factory thing first and was fine in traffic. But, I am more confident with yamalink off road. My front is also lowered, but, I don't have the number with me.

I am hoping people can reply this thread with the type of lowering method they use as well as the distance lowered in the front fork.

thanks!

My question is to anyone who has used this link. What did you do to make the bike more stable because of the length of the kickstand now? It sits almost verticle on the stand.
Yep, I have the same problem...Might just take it off, then take a grinder to it. Or hack saw the end off and get a buddy to weld a new little pad on the bottom...Either way, yeah, it's gotta be shorter now.

For now I just have to be careful where I park. I either lean it against stuff or find a downward slope..lol

WR250R stand part #: 3D7-27311-01-00

WR250X stand part #: 3D7-27311-11-00

I bet the X stand would solve the problem nicely. $38 or less for the part. All surrounding parts (bolt, washer, nut, bracket, spring) are the same part number, so it should be a direct swap.

Cheers!

/dh

Oh, right, he must have the 1.5 drop on the R model. Because I have the 2.5 on the X and have the same problem. So either way, I'll be hacking it up 👍

Hi,

Your link didn't work for me. Ends up being "bad request". Couple of questions for you:

1) Which one did you get? the 1.5 one or the 2.5 one?

2) did you play with the factory lowering?

I did yamalink like many folks here. I did the factory thing first and was fine in traffic. But, I am more confident with yamalink off road. My front is also lowered, but, I don't have the number with me.

I am hoping people can reply this thread with the type of lowering method they use as well as the distance lowered in the front fork.

thanks!

I got the 2.5 in lowering link and I dropped the forks an inch and a half.

I could get around on the street with the stock setup but in the rough stuff if i had to put a foot down ( and you always need to...) I'd be on my ass quick.

I did the factory lowering (.9") first but that was really barely noticeable. I did reverse that when I put the link on. With the link, it is a whole different bike. I feel much more confident and can ride more aggressively off road.

Link was expensive but worth it IMHO.

Try this link ---> http://www.mountainmotorsports.biz/

HI everyone. i have a question what is your seat height after the lower-link was in stalled. and with the built in adjustment lowered down thanks.

Well, I haven't touched the built in adjustment but with the 2.5" lowering link I measured 32" from the ground to the lowest part of the seat. So I guess you can expect it to be a bit lower if you were to mess with the built in adjustment.

Has anyone had their seat shaved??? Im thinking of having it done but lookin for input/advice first.

Sorry, I just have to put this one in there. I think that Deranged Hermit needs his seat shaved.:worthy:

Well, I never expected...ahem, BSS, this is a public forum - but I've got the time if you've got the razor, big boy:D:p

I did shave it, after the response here - mostly embarrassed silence, a few brave souls trying to make the best of it:) Actually, I just trimmed it again, with scissors. Here ya go:

08191.jpg

08192.jpg

It weighs 3 lb 1 oz, which is less than the stock seat - sheepskin is light stuff for its bulk.👍 But I'm not sure how it will ride yet, and I am already thinking along an alternate line that doesn't use the stock seat pan:eek:

Back on topic, the stock seat foam could be shaved a good bit, maybe 2", in the lowest part - that's where the foam is thickest. It tapers off as it goes to the back. You maybe could shave 1" off up to about halfway between the lowest part and the rear. But not much further. About where the pillion strap goes. Maybe make it a two-level seat, that's what I did at first. But my problem was lack of comfort, not distance from the ground:)

nice cut this time. Actually looks pretty good!👍

I should probably get one for riding in the winter. Nothing worse than a cold seat.

I shaved my seat quite a bit as well. Did it before I knew I was going to buy a lowering link. I didn't want to remove too much foam but I did narrow it up along the sides and re-profiled it where my legs usually hang down so it helped a bit in that respect. Might have gained another half inch there at best. The seat is bad enough for long distance, no point in shaving it if you don't have to. Had I known I was going to buy a link later I wouldn't have bothered.

I found the best thing for shaving the seat was a hand held belt sander, just lay into it to take off lots of foam or just lightly skim it for the smoothing out afterwards. Just make sure you have a good hold on the seat before you make contact, hehe 👍

Looks like my snowy bike when I wake up on a late-October morning in Colorado.

Great job on the seat!

Well, I never expected...ahem, BSS, this is a public forum - but I've got the time if you've got the razor, big boy:D:p

I did shave it, after the response here - mostly embarrassed silence, a few brave souls trying to make the best of it:) Actually, I just trimmed it again, with scissors.

It weighs 3 lb 1 oz, which is less than the stock seat - sheepskin is light stuff for its bulk.👍 But I'm not sure how it will ride yet, and I am already thinking along an alternate line that doesn't use the stock seat pan:eek:

Back on topic, the stock seat foam could be shaved a good bit, maybe 2", in the lowest part - that's where the foam is thickest. It tapers off as it goes to the back. You maybe could shave 1" off up to about halfway between the lowest part and the rear. But not much further. About where the pillion strap goes. Maybe make it a two-level seat, that's what I did at first. But my problem was lack of comfort, not distance from the ground:)