06 yz250f bottom end sucks

hi i bought a 06 yz250f a few months ago and the bottom end power is aweful. its like riding a two stroke. if i ride a gear high i bog out and if i ride a gear low it justs blows through the midrange and just starts bouncing off the rev limiter! i think im exagarating a little but its pretty bad. its pretty much stock, is this how all the 06s are? im thinking of getting a pipe to fix it since my old 02 yz250f had a full fmf system and it ripped. im not concerned about overall hp gains i just want low to midrange power

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the jetting "seems" ok. it doesnt crack or bog or nothing when i rev it. lol a 450 is a little too much for me to handle im only 115lbs. im actually thinking of getting a weapon mx pipe but i dunno if i trust the company. they sent me a sponsorship offer so i could get their pipe for like 300 bucks. its a 102db system so im sure it offers power

Play with your gearing as well, you might want to go a tooth or two bigger in the rear. The needle will make a big difference as the tapper is different. Most Yamaha's benifit from changing the taper. Pehaps you can PM "Burned", he is really good with jetting and needles.

Play with your gearing as well, you might want to go a tooth or two bigger in the rear. The needle will make a big difference as the tapper is different. Most Yamaha's benifit from changing the taper. Pehaps you can PM "Burned", he is really good with jetting and needles.

'ok thanks for the info =) i dunno about going up teeth, i dont want it to wind out even quicker, than i gotta shift even quicker to keep away from bouncing off the rev limiter

"dog, I know what you mean about the 2ST feel as my 07 had the same feel. Below a certain rpm it had nothing, then once it hit the rpm it would take off. I cured it with jetting.

In my case the pilot was too fat. I leaned it out 1 to a 40PJ but then it had a lean bog when whacking the throttle. I cured that with a 40LJ and an oring on the Accel pump linkage.

In all my testing, I came to the conclusion the needle was wrong for that motor. It was fat in the middle but lean on the MJ at WFO. The best setting I could get was 1 on the clip. I've gone to the JD needle and am pleased with that. I understand the 08 needle is a big step toward fixing the issue I found.

Shouldn't really have to swap gearing unless he's riding super nasty singletrack IMO ? +1000 on the jetting though! I know these 250fs have at least some bottom end and what the OP is describing does not sound right.

Does the bike have the o-ring mod done to the AP. There was a very noticeable improvement in both response and power on the bottom end when I wired the AP on my cousin's 250f: thumbsup: