Sign in to follow this  

Removing rear wheel bearings

Any tips on how to remove the rear wheel bearings on my 98 CR125? I bought replacement bearings from Moose racing and it came with 3 bearings and 2 seals. Does this sound right?

I've got the old dust seals off each side, but I'm not quite sure where to go from here.

Any help would be appreciated.

:) basically,like this. using a brass rod of a size about 1/3 axle dia. pry spacer between wheel bearings to one side ,then working side to side,tap bearing out of hub.tap out just a small amount ,then the other side and so on till its out. then other one is easy. tap new ones back in same way,side to side till seated. don,t forget spacer.

When putting in the new ones another good thing to try is the old socket trick. Use a scket just under the size of the inner diameter of the hole. That will allow a more even puch on the bearing. That way it doesn't get sideways or out of whack going in.

When putting in the new ones another good thing to try is the old socket trick. Use a scket just under the size of the inner diameter of the hole. That will allow a more even puch on the bearing. That way it doesn't get sideways or out of whack going in.

And you won't damage the seals on the new bearings.

You need to push the OUTER race when installing the new bearings, not the inner, or you will damage the new bearings. Just making sure you know that...

When you are removing the bearings, it's ok to bash the inner race as you won't be re-using the bearings...

also, most bieks has 2 bearings on the sprocket side of the hib and only 1 on the other, hence the 3 bearing in the kit.

You'll also need to remove the "splined" retainer with a punch carefully.

Without using a bearing press you are looking at possibly damaging the bearing no matter what. I have apress at my disposal but before I did, that is how I did it. If you know a better way, I am all ears. It will save me a drive into work.