Sign in to follow this  

Un-Dyno Jet-ed my DR650 today

My bike is an '08 with 1600 miles. Have had the DJ kit in for a thousand miles. I have the stock exhaust, I used the 155 DJ main jet, had 2ea 1.5" holes in the top of the airbox, and snorkel removed, stock air cleaner and the needle set on the third groove from the top (fourth groove gave more bottom end power, but my MPG went to 42).

My reason for going back to stock set-up was the intake noise. I have a Parabellum Windshield on the bike and the noise is reflected back to the rider and it was pretty irritating.

Power-wise I immediately noticed a decrease in power in the upper half of the power band. Not so much difference on the bottom end and mid range (though definitely less).

I'm going to ride it for a while to see if I must have the extra power. I'm really enjoying hearing the engine and exhaust for a change.

I can't imagine the intake noise to be that bad. I've removed the snorkel and air box cover and don't notice it. I hear a whistle now with the FCR and it still doesn't bother me. Maybe you're a little more sensitive to it than I am. Then again my exhaust is louder than the stocker. I did take a hit in the mileage with the DJ kit and the FCR though but I'm not willing to give up the performance for better mileage. Everything comes with a price you just have to choose what you want. :)

Did you cover the airbox holes and put the snorkle back in? If not, you'll be running too lean with the stock needle unless you've shimmed it with a washer or 2.

Did you cover the airbox holes and put the snorkle back in? If not, you'll be running too lean with the stock needle unless you've shimmed it with a washer or 2.

Yes to both, It's set up exactly as stock except there are two holes in the slide as per Jesse @ Kientech instructions.

hell with the mileage!

give me more power!

I'm getting about 38 with a mikuni 40 & FMF header & muffler & opened up airbox.

I'll gladly trade more fuel for more power when I get a big bore & porting & maybe a cam.

my fuel range varies but there are times when I get better economy with the DJ kit. And as if you'd mind the intake noise! completely stock it sounds pathetic, cut the box right and it gains a nice deep roar but isn't really loud its just a hell of an improvement. I pretty much shredded my box by cutting it with a hacksaw cause I didn't have anything else, the edges are very rough I dunno if that would affect the noise but it does sound good, just need the exhaust to match it which fingers crossed will come my way some time soon

My bike is an '08 with 1600 miles. Have had the DJ kit in for a thousand miles. I have the stock exhaust, I used the 155 DJ main jet, had 2ea 1.5" holes in the top of the airbox, and snorkel removed, stock air cleaner and the needle set on the third groove from the top (fourth groove gave more bottom end power, but my MPG went to 42).

My reason for going back to stock set-up was the intake noise. I have a Parabellum Windshield on the bike and the noise is reflected back to the rider and it was pretty irritating.

Power-wise I immediately noticed a decrease in power in the upper half of the power band. Not so much difference on the bottom end and mid range (though definitely less).

I'm going to ride it for a while to see if I must have the extra power. I'm really enjoying hearing the engine and exhaust for a change.

The two 1.5" holes account for your poor mileage. You have to do the full air box mod or remove the side cover to get the DJ needle the needed air flow.

The bike is quieter bone stock. Whatever floats your boat right? :)

The two 1.5" holes account for your poor mileage. You have to do the full air box mod or remove the side cover to get the DJ needle the needed air flow.

I missed that part, yep cut the airbox, worst case scenario just melt/glue/tape the piece back in place. Also the bike should be pulling much much harder down low, not so much up high, somethings not right there :)

The two 1.5" holes account for your poor mileage. You have to do the full air box mod or remove the side cover to get the DJ needle the needed air flow.:

So that's the Problem! If I decide to do the DJ thing again, I'll take the side cover off and check out the performance.

Thanks, all.

So that's the Problem! If I decide to do the DJ thing again, I'll take the side cover off and check out the performance.

Thanks, all.

if you do that it'll be obnoxiously loud, cut the top of the box and it will be loudER but not what you'd consider loud. It'll also produce a better much throatier note

let me know if ya want to part with your dj kit 👍