Sign in to follow this  

CRF250R 06, 07, 08 models. Question for the Pros here...

Ok guys,

So I have been out of riding for about 7yrs or so, and I grew up riding 2 strokes.

Now I'm thinking of buying a new CRF250 R 4 stroke, which will be a bit new to me.

I have come here to ask you guys which bike I should buy, based on the prices I give you. I basically am being offered one of the following bikes. Each bike is NEW/UNUSED, and the prices are shown below:

1. 2006 CRF250R for $4485

-OR-

2. 2007 for $4685

-OR-

3. 2008 for $5885

Now price is a big concern for me, and I would really love to get away with spending the $4685 for the 07 bike. If the 07 is a bit better than the 06, then I see no reason to save a lousy $200 for the 06 bike.

HOWEVER, I might be willing to spend the extra money for the 08 CRF IF it is worth the extra $1200???

This is why I have come to you guys. I don't really know the differences between all these bikes, and EVEN IF I read the long list of minor differences, I do not always know exactly what they mean, and I just need some experts here to let me know if the 08 bike is really worth $1400 MORE than the 07 bike???

Hell, for that matter, for all I know, you guys might tell me to snag up that 06 bike for whatever reason??? (I know many products that go out of production, are still loved for years to come, and many users wish they could get their hands on older models for whatever reasons)...

WHICH bike would be the better deal guys?

I will say that I won't have a ton of money right off the bat, to dump into this bike, so I will probably ride it as stock for a while, or at least close to stock.

I am not TOTALLY SURE about that, but I am not a pro racer, and I will not be dumping thousands and thousands into the bike. I WILL slowly perform mods/upgrades over time, but I certainly won't be dumping thousands into it immediately after purchase..

Most of my time and money will be spent getting back into the sport, and on minor upgrades/mods..

Thanks for any help here guys. I sure appreciate it...

hot cams cams aren't all that great - 08 OEM is better (along with needed OEM springs). If you do end up getting the 07, maybe wait until you can get the 09 cam, who knows whats in store for that :) I'm sure the Ron and others will be testing them as soon as they get the bikes... And stick in a JE piston while your at the cam mod...

Personally I would get the 08. The 08 comes stock with 22mm offset triple clamps (a really nice mod) - and the steering damper (I revalved mine and am using rotella t 15w40 in it, I love how it works) and with a stronger motor, etc.

-- But if cost is going to be a factor, get the 07 -- You can snag up a 08 steering damper on e-bay or get a new one from a discount honda store (under $200). Then find yourself some 22mm offset clamps. You will need to drill and tap the bottom triple clamp and steering tube to get the OEM damper unit to work. -- But if you find some 08 triple clamps, OEM or aftermarket they will have a mounting hole in the bottom for the damper, so all you need to drill/tap is the steer tube. Those two things will get the 07 handling close to the same as the 08. Then set up the suspension for your weight with proper springs. You will be set with that. -- Then you can also stick in a 08 or 09 OEM cam, and a high comp piston.

But how much will you spend on these mods??? I am dead sure you will be extremely happy with a stock 07 with suspension set up for your weight.

Thanks for the replies guys. I hear the CRF250 is set up from the factory for a 175lb rider. Is this correct?

I weigh about `165-170, and I don't really know how far off from 175lbs would warrant a suspension adjustment/change?? I mean, does a 165lb rider use the same setting/setup as a 175lb rider, or what?? At what increments of weight are settings usually changed??

Thanks guys. Keep em coming. These replies are really helping a brotha out...

Thanks for the replies guys. I hear the CRF250 is set up from the factory for a 175lb rider. Is this correct?

I weigh about `165-170, and I don't really know how far off from 175lbs would warrant a suspension adjustment/change?? I mean, does a 165lb rider use the same setting/setup as a 175lb rider, or what?? At what increments of weight are settings usually changed??

Thanks guys. Keep em coming. These replies are really helping a brotha out...

i heard they were set up for a 165 pound rider:excuseme: in a local race i would think a 10 difference would be no big deal, but the pros would never consider riding a bike set up for a 165pounder if they were 175, you change the increments of weight with the springs if thats whay you are asking

check out race techs website - they have an online spring rate generator. See if you are the correct weight for the stock springs. Springs for your weight make a good difference with how well the suspension works for you. In my opinion it should be one of the first mods you do to your bike.

At 175 lbs you are fine for the stock springs.

buy the '07, then buy a '08 cam and you'll be more than happy.

Go this route for sure....:)

What are you going to be doing with it? For those prices, I'd get the 07 or the 06 and leave them stock, maybe some carb work to work out the bugs, but really you don't need to spend $1200 on mods if your just starting out again after 7 years.

Well, as stated earlier, I won't be racing professionally with it, but I'll do just about everything else possible...

I'm the kind of guy who WILL have to do some upgrading/mods, but I will start out just riding, and doing minor mods as I go.

Of course, I say that, and then I ALWAYS end up getting crazy-deep into modding the heck out of anything I own. I do love to tinker, and improve equiptment..

I think the 07 is for me. That sounds like a winner...

Thanks so much for the help guys.

Just to be clear, it sounds like you guys are saying that a CRF250R is setup for a 175lb rider from the factory, and since I weigh 165-170, I should probably just leave it alone for now? I'm still not sure IF it would EVER be feasible to change the springs/suspension setup in the FUTURE or not based on my weight??? (That is, IF I ever get REALLY into it, and want the BEST setup possible.)

Thanks so much guys...

Well, as stated earlier, I won't be racing professionally with it, but I'll do just about everything else possible...

I'm the kind of guy who WILL have to do some upgrading/mods, but I will start out just riding, and doing minor mods as I go.

Of course, I say that, and then I ALWAYS end up getting crazy-deep into modding the heck out of anything I own. I do love to tinker, and improve equiptment..

I think the 07 is for me. That sounds like a winner...

Thanks so much for the help guys.

Just to be clear, it sounds like you guys are saying that a CRF250R is setup for a 175lb rider from the factory, and since I weigh 165-170, I should probably just leave it alone for now? I'm still not sure IF it would EVER be feasible to change the springs/suspension setup in the FUTURE or not based on my weight??? (That is, IF I ever get REALLY into it, and want the BEST setup possible.)

Thanks so much guys...

I think the 250f's are set up for closer to 140lb rider depending on ability. The 450f's are set up closer to the 175lb rider.

250R's are set up for a 175-180 lb rider. I had to drop down to 0.42 kg fork springs and 4.8 kg shock spring. I am 130 lbs, and they seem to work fine for me. That is according to race techs site. The bike will be even better once I get Dave J's 215 oil and Phase 4 valving :) I cannot wait to get that stuff, I am super excited to try it out and have my bike work excellent!!! -- The oil and taco mid valve kit...

Stock spring rates were .45 kg forks and 5.2 kg shock.

check out race techs website - they have an online spring rate generator. See if you are the correct weight for the stock springs. Springs for your weight make a good difference with how well the suspension works for you. In my opinion it should be one of the first mods you do to your bike.

At 175 lbs you are fine for the stock springs.

I cant find the online Spring rate generator at race tech's website :)

I weigh about 150lbs and wanted to see if the stock springs are ok for me.

If you do not like the original "Dell Taco" name - he also calls it the "Phase 4". I hope he is almost finished with the testing and development on the kit, I really want to put it in my forks 👍

hyperawq: go to here: http://www.racetech.com/evalving/menu/searchdirt.asp

And then select your bike, etc. Then when the page comes up there will be a button to click for custom fork/shock spring rate generator (something to that effect).

thanks Honda 250f rider. The calculator seems to suggest i am a little too light for the stock springs, i guess i can either get new springs or eat lots of unhealthy foods for while 👍