Sign in to follow this  

Would a 89 RMX 250 qualify as a vintage bike?

Or is it not old enough?Im thinking about buying one and rebuilding/restoring it.Sure i know its not a real "vintage" bike like a late 70's or early 80's bike,but would this be the right forum to share it with if i do restore one?

Not even close to being Vintage (1974 and before) or Post-Vintage ( 1976-84 or the like).

Sorry,

Dwight

not really old enough to be vintage, but if you restored it to stock condition, it woul,d still be an awesome woods racer, ---- I would try to get it as close to showroom stock appearance as i could

The old RM's (RMX is based on an RM) have the best handling of their era by far IMO

So 1984 (give or take) is the cutoff for a vintage bike? Lots of people ask about my 1984 model and comment on what a dinosaur it is. I'd like to know what "officially" determines a bike being "vintage" or not, might help the OP too.

Just get an old PE 175 or 250. They're easier to find and still plenty of parts for 'em.

I think Dwight would know a thing or two about the PE.

So 1984 (give or take) is the cutoff for a vintage bike? Lots of people ask about my 1984 model and comment on what a dinosaur it is. I'd like to know what "officially" determines a bike being "vintage" or not, might help the OP too.

'79 or '80 down is the true vintage era , but some would say it is really 1974-down ---- The single shock era ushered in the "evolution" era

http://www.ahrma.org/rulebook/2008Handbook/index.html

link to the AHRMA rulebook. Most 1984 models are not considered eligible as vintage bikes because many came with front discs, powervalves, water cooling and long travel.

There is an Ultima class, for machines up until 1983 that is the latest year eligible for vintage racing unless it is a dual shock Husky, and i think the last year for those was 1984

regrettably, in the eyes of the AHRMA, bikes from the mid to late 80's are just "old bikes"