Sign in to follow this  

450EXC stock gearing chain question

05 450EXC..bought last year.

Need new chain and sprockets. Bike has 13/50 combo on it, but is that really the stock setup?---114 link chain.

I rarely ever hit top gears...i ride 60% woods 40% track (my own track) I'm not busting 100' tabletops, just

racing myself--(i always win :worthy:)

Dennis Kirk catalog shows 14/52 combo as one option with 118links

I don't need any more top end out of it..it hits 80 on the 13/50 combo.

I would like to gear it down some...so should I go 13/52? 14/51?..:)

there are soooo many chains...I'm getting a tad confused...

do I stick with a sealed o-ring? I normally run a 520VM chain, but I'm not opposed to running a renthal, rk, moose, parts unlimited...

I'm looking at these chains from KTM Hutt as well

http://www.ktmcyclehutt.com/ktmstore/hardparts/chains.htm

could there be more options :D

Any help..I know chains and gearing get beat to death here in these forums, but perhaps for good reason.

Son just got 06 450exc came with 14/50 changed to 14/52 he said it is awesome front comes up alot easier & is easier to ride in st hilly terrain

When I first got my 450 exc I put a 13 on the front. Recently I put the 14 back on, for the CDT ride, and mileage went from 40 to 50 mpg and it felt like it had more power.

I am now going to try 14/52.

There is no answer for what gears are "right" as low is pretty low & 6th is more than tall enough. Generally inexperianced riders gear them lower looking for a crutch, more experianced riders leave teh stock gearing and tap the clutch from time to time in thight stuff to prevent stalling and the slightly taller gearing helps them retain traction.

13T will cause more wear of both the chain, sprockets and the front chain pad on the swing arm. 52 causes some frustrations with trying to get the rear chain guide to fit and causes the chain to be dipped into the mud more causing more wear. As for chains you definatly want an Oring or Xring! MX racers do not use them as the rubber ring saps some power but in the woods the cost of running non Oring will bring you to your knees as the chain wears fast and a worn out chain kills sprockets

I personally like taller gearing. geared my 250f yamaha up to do 93mph instead of 86 and it worked wonderful

but my bike came geared so high, I was never getting out of 1st in tight sections (15-45) and now I geared it to 14-45 and its alot easier to stay off the clutch. thinking i might go up to a 48 in the rear.

in my experience, close gearing robs acceleration due to shifting and your bike just rev's. when you got power, let the engine pull you.

but I disagree with you on right and wrong gearing.

the best gearing is the gearing that keeps the engine in its powerband, you don't want the bike to be taken out of the powerband when you shift, and you don't want to have to shift every second, unless your on a track and need all those gears for jumping.

There is no answer for what gears are "right" as low is pretty low & 6th is more than tall enough. Generally inexperianced riders gear them lower looking for a crutch, more experianced riders leave teh stock gearing and tap the clutch from time to time in thight stuff to prevent stalling and the slightly taller gearing helps them retain traction.

13T will cause more wear of both the chain, sprockets and the front chain pad on the swing arm. 52 causes some frustrations with trying to get the rear chain guide to fit and causes the chain to be dipped into the mud more causing more wear. As for chains you definatly want an Oring or Xring! MX racers do not use them as the rubber ring saps some power but in the woods the cost of running non Oring will bring you to your knees as the chain wears fast and a worn out chain kills sprockets

Hey zwr250f,

Your current (50t x 13t) sprockets give you a ratio of 3.85 to 1

If you want to change your gear ratio refer to the examples below.

Note you are already near the "low end" of gear ratios (i.e. less top speed).

If you decide to use a 14 tooth front, you will need a 53 tooth rear sprocket to get a ratio of 3.79 (a 2% change - taller then what you currently have). You won't really notice this ratio change of only 2%, but your new (longer) O ring chain will last longer and your swingarm guard will not wear out as fast.

Good luck!

Rear teeth / Front teeth / *Ratio (*R to 1F)

50 / 14 / 3.57

50 / 13 / 3.85

51 / 14 / 3.64

51 / 13 / 3.92

52 / 14 / 3.71

52 / 13 / 4.00

53 / 14 / 3.79

53 / 13 / 4.08

I ended up going to a 14/52 combo. Rode it on the track and trail over the weekend..seemed to work pretty good. I bought 118links which was plenty of chain..almost too much.

thanks for all your help fellas.

I ended up going to a 14/52 combo. Rode it on the track and trail over the weekend..seemed to work pretty good. I bought 118links which was plenty of chain..almost too much.

thanks for all your help fellas.

thats a lower ratio. meaning your going to have more top speed.

I though you wanted the opposite

^^this is true...however..after ready everyone's thoughts..I decide to start back at the what seemed to be common 14/52 combo..now I can throw a 13 on and get the lower range without the expense of sticking with a 13/51 and experimenting with the larger 52.

so I went about this with my budget in mind 👍

I'm hoping to get some more seat time in on the 14/52, then try the 13/52....

^^this is true...however..after ready everyone's thoughts..I decide to start back at the what seemed to be common 14/52 combo..now I can throw a 13 on and get the lower range without the expense of sticking with a 13/51 and experimenting with the larger 52.

so I went about this with my budget in mind :worthy:

I'm hoping to get some more seat time in on the 14/52, then try the 13/52....

well.. shifting like your on a 125 slows you down. you should keep your big bore bike geared up.

even if you don't use all its top speed, having a tranny that keeps you in your power band, and not one that shifts you above or below it is a good thing 👍