Sign in to follow this  

double bike hitch carrier

I have a add a bike single carrier and have had no problems. curious on your opinions of a dual carrier. are they safe and which on do you reccomend? have a 04 bmw x3. thank you.

not a good idea. A buddy of mine had one on a Toyota four runner with the hmost heavy duty hitch and it was sketchy at best. The weight is so far out there that it really sags the rear and is pretty sloppy rotationally.

I have one and dont recomend it. Way to much weight out there

Looks like Max trailer tongue weight for your car is 350lbs. Two bikes + gas + the weight of the carrier would surley exceed this by a fair margin. Unless you're into pit bikes? How does you X3 handle with one bike and how heavy are the bikes you want to haul?

2 of my friends carry 2 full size bikes on a double carrier all the time. They have a Chevy Tahoe with Bilstein shocks - you can pump extra air in the rear once and the truck stays level. Noone likes it, but they have no choice living in the city. If you got space definately get a trailer. Your BMW will thank you for it too.

I have a add a bike single carrier and have had no problems. curious on your opinions of a dual carrier. are they safe and which on do you reccomend? have a 04 bmw x3. thank you.

You're already stressing the vehicle with a single hitch hauler carrying a full size bike-a double is begging for disaster.

It's not just the weight ratings, but the leverage that a double carrier has that wasn't taken into consideration when coming up with the hitche and vehicles weight ratings.

A double hitch hauler will extend beyond the end of the reciever tube about 36"-42" or more. That's a lot of leverage dangling back there. (think fat kid on a teeter totter).

Now, you're going to add a pair of 250 lb bikes to a hitch hauler that will weigh between 50-100 lbs, and now you're talking a total of 600 lbs dangling 3 feet behind the mount point.

Now, keep in mind, that as you load the hitch hauler (far behind the rearmost axle) you unload the steering axle, and enough of this could make the braking, steering and stability of the vehicle drastically change, possibly making it unsafe to drive.

Hitches (and vehicles) are rated for around 6" from the end of the receiver tube, and the farther out you extend that lever, the more violent the forces are that are transmitted, lessening the safe carrying capacity of the hitch.

I wouldn't recommend using a double hauler on anything less than a Class V hitch mounted on a minimum of a 3/4 Ton truck....anything less is asking for trouble.

People who sell these hitch haulers will tell you anything to put the product in your hands and cash in their pocket.....your safety is not their concern.

Somewhere out there someone must have pictures of 2-cycle hitch carrier's catastrofic failure...............perhaps ashamed to post them?

Such a pic would be worth many thousands of words, and educate those considering one.

BB