Sign in to follow this  

Bike died on trail today

Had a great ride with a few others today on some technical trails right outside of Boise until the above happened. I crashed on the right side of the bike on a sandy steep trail and when I went to restart, it turned over a few times, then died completely. The display was dead and it wouldn't turn over. We broke the bike down and checked the fuses, wiring, and battery (we hooked my cables up to my buddy's bike and it wouldn't start). We finally got it going by bump-starting it, but the display was flashing intermittantly all the way home. The engine and kill switch are working fine. The battery is 2 years old and I always keep it on a battery tender?

Any thoughts on what to check? Is it a bad ground somewhere? I hate to bring it into a shop for an exploratory electrical issue.

Thanks,

Trent

Check the wiring harness where it goes past the steering neck. Not sure on an S, but on the E it's on the left side. If it gets pinched it'll make it not start, but the engine will run. Good luck.

Easy fix:

1. Get a kick start kit

2. Get the Eddie battery

3. Do the free power mod

Unless you like pushing 300 pounds though the mud... :)

EDIT: Honestly you could probably skip the Eddie battery upgrade if you wanted to. Kick start kit and Free Power Mod are all that you really need...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

Running fine until you dumped it on the right side?

No critical electrical components on the right side that I know of? I would take another look around the steering head area...also possibly behind the headlight shroud as well....I've heard of people having similiar issues due to a pinched harness, that did not seem otherwise pinched....did you washout the front end and lock the front wheel to one side?

The display flashing in and out sure seems to indicate a possible short someplace......don't take it to Carls unless you want to pay some $$$....plenty of members that have excellent electrical troubel shooting skills that can walk you through this. I'll bet it's something stupid, but elusive...

Thanks Brian. Do you live in Boise? We should go riding once I get the bike back up. The wheel did lock out to the left as the bike fell perpendicular to the trail off the the right. We pulled the headlight shroud off on the trail and didn't see anything unusual. I will pull the tank in the next day or so and take a good look at all the wiring.

Absolutely.....live over on Eagle/McMillan

Were you guy's riding 8th? Lot's of sand on 4....

I personally do not have much experience chasing electrical gremlins.....but your problem has to be something fairly simple since it happened after a fall. Did you try replacing the fuse? check all wiring to and from battery for corrosion and/or worn...cooked....discolored wiring?......wiring harness around head area for sure as with connections into your display?

Did it run strong after the bump start?

assuming S model since you referenced display?

could be as simple as a bad battery,but could have a charging issue.

whne you say it tunred over a few times,it was cranking full speed and then slowly died? or just lost all power like a switch was flipped?

Mike,

We went up 8th street and rode 4 & 6, went over and did a loop to Robie Creek and back on the upper and lower Humpty-Dumpty trails, and then went up Boise Ridge Rd and did Trail #155 (Daggett Creek), which is where the problem happened about 1/2 the way through.

The bike ran strong after a bump start. It is a S model. I will further check the wiring once I remove the tank this evening. I did look at the fuses and they were good, unless I missed one.

Thanks again, Trent

Eddie,

The bike turned over a few times after the fall and then just went dead. We did hook up my battery cables to my bike to my buddy's KLX450 and we got no power.

Thanks, Trent

Same scenario happened to me once and I had just installed a new Odyssey battery. Plus my front tube blew out at the same time. So after the tire repair I stood the bike up and buzz click buzz - - - no juice . Push push push, jump down on the seat when I popped the clutch in 3rd and fired right up. Went home and checked the battery but only 11v. Eventually took it to the battery dealer in Texas when I went on vacation and they gave me a new one for free. I guess it just got a short in it somehow.

Eddie,

The bike turned over a few times after the fall and then just went dead. We did hook up my battery cables to my the KLK450 and we got no power.

Thanks, Trent

checked the main fuse?

Looks like Eddie beat me to this. But I would definitely check the fuse. Then for good measure take some time and look at all the wiring near any bends or stress points to ensure their is no stripped insulation.

Thanks for reminding about Robbie Creek ran up that hill and killed myself too many times. :worthy: I used to live on 14th and Lemp spent most of my evenings biking the foot hills or heading to Table rock to CLimb. Man do I miss Boise.👍

I checked the main fuse (it's the 20A one to the inside of the battery in the cutout area, right?) and it's ok. Ran out of time tonight, but I should be able to spend some quality time with it tomorrow.

Volxport: This is a great place to live for dirt biking! We've been here almost 2yrs after moving from Atlanta, where we had to trailer 45min to an OHV park or ride mostly gravel FS roads with a few ATV trails. Here we can be on dirt in 1.5 miles and ride all the way to Canada or Montana with hardly touching pavement...

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. I'll do my part tomorrow.

Mike,

We went up 8th street and rode 4 & 6, went over and did a loop to Robie Creek and back on the upper and lower Humpty-Dumpty trails, and then went up Boise Ridge Rd and did Trail #155 (Daggett Creek), which is where the problem happened about 1/2 the way through.

The bike ran strong after a bump start. It is a S model. I will further check the wiring once I remove the tank this evening. I did look at the fuses and they were good, unless I missed one.

Thanks again, Trent

Ahhhh.....good ole' Dagget! I have not had the oppertunity to ride Dagget yet this year. I heard they were going to re-route out of the creek?

Know the area well.......👍

Did you check your clutch override switch.....I have bypassed mine and when I connected the two ends together my bike wouldn't start....unplugged and replugged and problem solved. I'm curious if your problem is somewhere behind the headlight shroud?