Sign in to follow this  

Week and a half until the cross country trip

It's closing in. I'll be loading up and heading out next Wednesday to trek across country on the DR. I am thinking of going back to stock with my carb and exhaust to get a little better mileage from the old girl plus sell off the hot rod parts to recoup some funds. My 21" front should be ready in a day or so. I added some ProTaper SE ATV Low bars yesterday which I trimmed as narrow as possible. A few rides with them now and they feel very stable out on the highway with little head shake at high speeds. I'm thinking since they are leaned back a bit to the rider that they have some sort of leveraging effect that keeps things under control as compared to the ProTaper Carmichael bend bars that I took off.

I need to increase my mileage and have it as quiet and reliable as possible for the long trek.

I am very excited about the trip. I will be doing some offroad and sight seeing in Colorado!

That's a long ways on a DR but sounds like fun. Good luck with school.:)

Earlier this summer I rode my DR about 1000 miles from Fargo, ND to Denver, Co. I rode around a little in Colo. and made the return 1000 miles to Fargo. The DR ran great. Mine is totally stock and returned anywhere from 65 mph to 38 mph depending on wind and road conditions. I have a Parabellum windshield that really helps. I use the stock seat but with the Wal-Mart ATV seat pad. I carried an extra gallon of gas and used it twice after running out of gas. I stayed off the interstates as much as possible. Have a great time! The DR is a fine road machine! I never felt undergunned.

Brianwheelies - hey bro how's things been? so where's your final destination spot? you know we always like pics right? :) on an unrelated note, how are the Carmichael bars over stock? i was thinking about getting a set actually.

Brianwheelies - hey bro how's things been? so where's your final destination spot? you know we always like pics right? :) on an unrelated note, how are the Carmichael bars over stock? i was thinking about getting a set actually.

They are ok. I've not ridden with stock bars in ages. The Carmichael bars are low and wide compared to stock. I wanted narrower that's why I went with the ATV bar. Seems they have more control surface length so that trimming can be done.

I am going to Long Island, NY. I'll be working in NYC and hopefully I can get into college there too.

Best of luck in the big city, Brian. Have a safe ride across and keep us posted.

Sarah