Sign in to follow this  

Synthetic Slip?

I recently put synthetic oil in my 83 XL 600. Withing 20 mile of the oil change my clutch started slipping. I learned on TT that it's common with older bikes cause the clutches weren't designed for synthetic oil. Well I rode it for a couple days before I had a chance to change the oil but I did and I used non synthetic. Problem is that my clutch is still slipping now and it seems to be getting worse. Could the synthetic oil still be affecting my clutch after the oil change or is my clutch shot and it's just a coincidence that it went when I used the synthetic oil? I'll change the clutch if I have to but I'd like to get the rest of the season out of it if I can cause I want to tear it down this winter anyway.

Yes the oil could still be affecting the clutch as it may have soaked into the fibre plates. Normally switching back to petroleum base oil will solve the problem but not always, also you may have suffered damage from the slipping. Even with newer bikes we have to be careful with the oil and additives because of the wet clutch. good luck.

wayne

I recently put synthetic oil in my 83 XL 600. Withing 20 mile of the oil change my clutch started slipping. I learned on TT that it's common with older bikes cause the clutches weren't designed for synthetic oil. Well I rode it for a couple days before I had a chance to change the oil but I did and I used non synthetic. Problem is that my clutch is still slipping now and it seems to be getting worse. Could the synthetic oil still be affecting my clutch after the oil change or is my clutch shot and it's just a coincidence that it went when I used the synthetic oil? I'll change the clutch if I have to but I'd like to get the rest of the season out of it if I can cause I want to tear it down this winter anyway.

What synthetic oil are you using ? I had problems using Honda Synthetic with Moly. I have had problems and have heard of problems with automotive so called Synthetic oils. Most Automotive Synthetic oil is not really synthetic, but a Group III base lube. Most Motorcycle synthetic oil is a Group IV or V , PAO or Ester. Look for the JASO MA rating to make sure your oil is Wet clutch safe.

Dwight :)

Okay, I used Mobil 1 fully synthetic V-twin oil (had to go to the garage to check). Forgot to see if it's wet clutch safe though. I know I don't have a V twin but I had heard that we shouldn't use automotive oil so I figured that was for bikes and used it. I guess I should have gone to TT before hand but a friend of mine used it in his 95 DR 350 since last year and had no problem so I thought it would be okay. When I do the clutch should I get the complete kit for around a hundred or am I waisting money? I can get the disk kit for around 40 but I don't wanna go cheap and kick myself later. That leads me to another question. When I replace the clutch will I be able to use the synthetic oils without a problem or do they continue to use the same type clutch material for the older bikes?

Mobil 1 V-Twin Oil is not for wet-clutch systems; it is used for Harley-type engines that have external transmissions.

A Harley is and external trans but aren't the metric twins still wet clutches? I thought they were but I don't have one so I could be wrong. In any case, It's on me for not doing a little checking before I put it in my bike. Won't happen again I can tell ya that. Is there any hope for my clutch then?

What kind of oil did you change to? If it was me I would change again to 15w40 fleet oil since it doesn't have the friction modifiers that car oil (even the non-synthetic) does.

Try it for a while but don't be surprised if your clutch is gone due to slipping if nothing else.

I just stopped at the local Honda shop today to pick up a new filter. I asked about oil recommendations for my XR350R, and they said any conventional

10w-40 made for motorcycles, because the older machines are designed for conventional, not synthetics. He said that if I wanted to try it, be sure to pick something made specifically for wet-clutches, without the Moly additive (which chemically binds to the plates, causing slippage).

So, I have a local CycleGear store in town, and will pick out a good 4-stroke oil, without Moly, since they have better selection and prices.

I used Valvoline 4 Stroke 20W-50 W/"Superior Wet Clutch Protection". It says it meets or exceeds JASO MA, API SF/SG/SJ. Whatever that means but it does say JASO MA on it. I don't know if 20-50 is the best weight for the bike but i figured heavier oil couldn't hurt since the bike has almost 8000 miles and it runs hot. Should I use a different weight?