Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 250 handle bar conversion

Sorry for a n00b question. I did some searching, but with all the options around I got a little lost.

I just picked up a 2006 DRZ 250 that came with stock handle bars. I haven't even ridden the thing yet!

I'm 6' tall and will be doing primarily forest trail riding. On my short list of things to get before going riding are proper hand guards and maybe a new handlebar (?)

I have Vortex sponsorship from my road racing venture so I can get their stuff cheap, but I'm a bit lost with all the options. What would work for my size? I understand I need to figure out my handlebar tube diameter option before getting hand guards, so first things first.

P.S. I'm looking at Cycra for hand guards, since I'd like to get something triple mounted.

a few facts to help you.

*standard bars are 7/8" at the clamps

*fat bars (taper bars) are 1 1/4" diameter at the clamps

*both types still have 7/8" diameter for fitment of controls.

I dont know about vortex bar's dimentions, but I'm 6'3 and running renthal Jimmy Button bars. you can go to renthal's website and get its dimensions. Other brands like pro taper have a "woods hi" bend which i liked on a TTR250 i rode.

basically for anyone over 6" you will want a height of at least 90mm

That helps a ton. Since 250 handlebar risers are part of the upper triple I don't think I can easily swap out for "fat" bars though. 7/8 it is.

Can't find anything like that for DRZ250...

careful watch the hole spacing on those fatbar adapters!!!!

i bent the hell out of my stock bars, so i picked up some Protaper SE (7/8") CR hi -bends im 5'10" and im happy with them

I forget the maker but I think there are two companies that make fat bar adapters for the Dr-z250, maybe moose and one other...