Sign in to follow this  

ACL/Meniscus surgery update (went riding)

Today made 15 weeks 2 days since my ACL/Meniscus surgery with Dr.Mark on April 25th of 08. I rode at the track today and it went rather well. I done all of the jumps but just rode over them the first time out and hit them a little harder the third lap. I found out it was easier on my knees to just go ahead and clear the jumps.

I was a little rusty like Dr.Mark said I would be but it didn't take long to get back in the swing of things. By the third time out on the track I was doing a 60ft triple. I came up a little short on the second lap and my knees took a little jolt but it didn't hurt much but by the third lap I clearing the triple.

I just had some pain in my graft knee when I was trying to star the bike it would have some pain in the kneecap when kicking the bike. It was also so a little painful when riding in a sitting position and coming to a standing position before a jump.

My ACL knee felt good and strong it just had a little pain in it on the sides of the knee(like the medial and lateral sides). I was riding a little harder than I should have been but the next time I go I will take it somewhat easier.

I guess I will have to continue the exercise programs for a good while but I lift weights at the gym anyways so I guess I will continue the exercise program that ED gave me until my knees get back to normal.

If it wasn't for Dr.Mark I would have not been riding today! So my hat goes off for Dr.Mark for a job well done.:)

I also went riding today at the track for the first time! It was 4 months, 7 days since my ACL replacement(same leg patella) and meniscus cleanup. My doc cleared me a few weeks ago to start riding slow(no jumps) and today I felt ready and went ahead. I putted around being careful to keep it on two wheels and man did it feel great! I really wanted to hit the jumps like old times but I probably made a good decision not to. I wore my CTI knee brace and had no knee pain the whole day.

Well today is the day after I went riding for the first time in 15 weeks since my ACL/Meniscus surgery. This morning I was sore all over from riding my knees was not that sore but still they felt like they were used.

I had just a little pain in the graft kneecap and they were more numbness in my ACL leg(like in the shin area around the kneecap. I was just hopeing I was going to be fully healed in 3 months.

I guess with this type of injury it just takes time and not to over do it to much.

Surely, you didn't expect to be pain free on your first time out?

Congrats Captain.. Yesterday was eight weeks for me after my acl with Dr.Mark. I can't wait till i can ride again. I have been having a terrible fight with it band pain which is really putting alot of pressure on the kneecaps causing even more pain but hey what doesn't kill us makes us stronger so they say. Good luck.

I roll so much i think i could roll to work one morning!!

Also start Advil, 4 tabs four times per day. That is a perscription dose of Ibuprofen and greater than six weeks after the surgery its safe to take.

I went riding at the track again today for the second time since my surgery in april. It went rather well this time! a little easier to stand up from a sitting position when approaching a jump.

Knees were not as sore afterwards when I was done riding. My ACL knee is still a little swollen (cant seem to shake the swelling off). Dr.Mark told me I still need a strict exercise program and passage for the next 8 months to get fully recovered.

I was just wondering what all exercises do I need to concentrate on the most for recovery Dr.Mark? I E-mailed ED for some exercises about two weeks ago for what I should do for exercises but he hasnt sent me a reply back. I guess I will e-mail him again.

From what you have said earlier, you are all ready exercising at a reasonable person's capacity. I believe that you are doing cardio one hour per day every day. To expect to be absolutely free of pain with all that you have had worked on before the end of a year is not reasonable. That you are back riding and doing better this time than last is as much as a reasonable person can ask for after four months.

Email me directly at sandersclinic@comcast.net and I will be sure Ed responds tomorrow.