Sign in to follow this  

Hole in my cylindar...

Today my father and i were out riding and we noticed his 1982 XR250R was leaking a good amount of oil. After getting the bikes back to the car we went home and i took the exhaust pipe off. Theres a hole in the side of the cylinder. :)

The hole is about an inch and a half tall and a half inch wide. Does anybody have any idea what could have caused this? Pressure? Heat?

And does anybody know where to find new cylinder for the bike?

Thanks for the help.

? can you post a pic of it,

has it only brunt throw the aluminium and not the cylinder sleeve.

I will post a picture tonight. The hole has sharp edges that point out, almost like it was hit with a small crowbar from the inside. i will post a pic tonight.

I will post a picture tonight. The hole has sharp edges that point out, almost like it was hit with a small crowbar from the inside. i will post a pic tonight.

Uh oh, a small crowbar from the inside sounds like there may be some carnage involved??

I went to a shop yesterday and the guy i talked to told me it was probably the timing chain that wore a hole through the cylinder. Could this be because the chain was loose or what, he didn't really specify. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks

I have seen cylinders that had a great deal of metal removed by a worn/loose timing chain. When the chain is worn past the point where the tensioner cannot hold it snug (or if perhaps the tensioner fails), the chain will rub/slap the cylinder and do quite a bit of damage. Usually a chain that loose will be making a pretty loud clatter. I have never seen a cylinder with a hole worn in it though.

The engine was making a ticking noise when the bike was running and my dad had decided that "If it aint broke, don't fix it..." and finally the thing broke. I am wondering if the timing chain was making the ticking. Thanks for the insight. I suppose its off to the parts supplier. Anyone know where to find a 1982 XR 250 cylinder?

Thanks

The engine was making a ticking noise when the bike was running and my dad had decided that "If it aint broke, don't fix it..." and finally the thing broke. I am wondering if the timing chain was making the ticking. Thanks for the insight. I suppose its off to the parts supplier. Anyone know where to find a 1982 XR 250 cylinder?

Thanks

I suspect if it truely is a hole from the timing chain, it would have been making more than just a small ticking noise. Post pics when you get chance, I'd really like to see this.

Well here is the hole...hope this helps. Sorry that they are a little blurry...these pictures were taken in the dark and the camera was having trouble focusing.

SDC10574.jpg?t=1219208051

SDC10581.jpg?t=1219208046

SDC10580.jpg?t=1219207993

Thanks for any and all insight.

Holy crap!! It's hard to tell from the pics as to which side of the cylinder the hole is but I'm wondering if maybe the cam chain came off and tangled up, punching the hole. Can you turn the ebgine over? If not, then I suspect the cam chain came off. If you can turn over the engine, then purhaps the chain did rub through 👍

You can buff that right out, no problem. Use 80-grit dynamite.

But seriously, you could try JB weld, there's not much to lose at this point. It won't fix the cause of the problem but it might stop that nasty oil leak.

The hole is on the right side of the engine, the exhaust pipe has been taken off, sorry that i didn't clear that up with the pics. The bike still starts and runs(or at least it did because my dad rode it back to the car after we noticed how much oil he was losing), it just leaks oil profusely. I was amazed at the size of the hole that i found. I figured thatthe bike was just leaking oil from between the cylinder and the bottom end, but i took off the pipe and i found this gaping hole. Thanks for the insight.

I've heard of jb weld but never really researched/had a reason to research using the stuff. I looked on the jb weld website and it says that it should not be used on anything that operates up around 500 degrees. Will this be a problem in the location near the exhaust pipe? i would not think so, but i just want to make sure before i do anything to try to fix the problem. Thanks.

Thats looks like the cam chain has came through, there should be a plastic guide to stop that. I would take the cylinder off and have it welded if its not too bad internally, you'll need cam chain, cam chain guides and probably a few more bits too.

As NoelA said, the cam chain/guide will have to be replaced too.

I don't think a hole that size would JB weld, I've used it before but it can be quite runny great for plugging small holes and repairing damaged threaded holes buts its not as good as the parent metal, I would consider JB weld is a get you home type fix.

I carry a stick of metal putty in my trail tool bag, to repair a holed case or broken item but I would not leave it to drop out next time on the trail.

Thanks NoelA and Racer for the advice. Do you guys know who would weld the hole shut? Would i take it to a motorcycle shop or an exhaust shop or what? Who would do it for a fair price, and not force us to buy a new cylinder, as those go for $250 and up. Thanks

Thanks NoelA and Racer for the advice. Do you guys know who would weld the hole shut? Would i take it to a motorcycle shop or an exhaust shop or what? Who would do it for a fair price, and not force us to buy a new cylinder, as those go for $250 and up. Thanks

I'd suggest taking it to a welding shop, when they look at it they can tell you wether they can fix it properly or not. Also wouldn't hurt to run it over to the Honda dealer after it's been welded and get them to measure the cylinder for wear with a cylinder bore gauge.

Thanks, i will update when i get more information. Do you know how much it normally costs to have the shop bore it out and get an oversized piston/top end? Im sure the top end needs to be replaced, since the bike probably has never had a new piston put in, and its 26 years old. Any idea about a price to bore it out?

Thanks, i will update when i get more information. Do you know how much it normally costs to have the shop bore it out and get an oversized piston/top end? Im sure the top end needs to be replaced, since the bike probably has never had a new piston put in, and its 26 years old. Any idea about a price to bore it out?

I would suspect $200 should cover the rebore, piston and rings. That would allow $60 for the rebore and $140 for the piston and rings, gaskets. When they check out the cylinder they can tell you if you need the 1st over size or perhaps 2nd over size if it's really worn. Most cylinder boring shops will need the oversize piston in order for them to bore out the cylinder.