Sign in to follow this  

Good deal for complete engine?

I'm trying to make a deal with this guy for this engine, plus everything I need to make a bike run. I'm trying to use my 1997 cr250 rolling chassis to stuff it in. He says he has everything I need, and he's asking 1500, and that includes shipping. The only reason this seems high is because it's got some kind of custom work done to it (he says). I picked up the chassis for 300, with Pro Action suspension work for my weight and ability, so the grand total should be 1800 all said and done. What do you guys think about this deal? Should I get them all individually instead? Would it be cheaper?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-Honda-CR-250-CR250-Engine-Motor-Complete-racing_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34284QQihZ002QQitemZ120294335460QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I think that's wayy too high. I'm guessing you could pick up a 97 cr250 again for that much in amazing shape, swap in your suspension, and sell your frame now instead of paying 1500 for an older motor that you've never heard run / has no carb / has no guaranteed work done to it, only the word of the seller and his "mystery racer". :)

If I were you I would sell your rolling chassis for as much as you can and simply buy a newer bike. You could get a killer bike if you got 300 out of your chassis now and added the 1500 that i'm assuming you're willing to spend on this motor.

That puts you damn close to 2000 dollars which is a pretty sweet spot as far as used bikes go. This idea is magnified even more if you decided to settle for a 125, as 2000 buys you probably an 04 at least in the color of your choice if you're willing to do some searching around and waiting.

Good luck with whichever choice you make!

My 250 (at the time) was very low hour and I sold the engine, carb, kickstarter, all electronics, FMF Gnarly pipe and silencer for $1,100.00. I did good to get that much for all of that so, yeah, that is overpriced. :D

My vote, stick a 500 engine it it! :)