Sign in to follow this  

Brake Rotor Interchangeability

So I did some research on the galfer catalog and according to them these brake rotors are the same and thus interchangeable. Please correct me if I am wrong.

YZ125:

F: 01-08

R: 98-02

YZ250

F: 01-06

R: 99-00

YZ250F

F: 03-08

R: 2000

YZ450F

F: 03-08

R: --

YZ426F

F: 00-02

R: 00-01

All rear rotors between any full sized Yamaha are interchangeable from 98-up and possibly earlier. The front rotor mounting hasn't changed in years (since at least before 98), but the outside diameter of the front rotor was increased around 2000, I'm not positive on that year though. I know that 01-up front rotors are all the same outside diameter.

• Like 1

All rear rotors between any full sized Yamaha are interchangeable from 98-up and possibly earlier. The front rotor mounting hasn't changed in years (since at least before 98), but the outside diameter of the front rotor was increased around 2000, I'm not positive on that year though. I know that 01-up front rotors are all the same outside diameter.

That's not entirely true. When I put the rear wheel from my 07wr450 on My 99 yz250, the rear brake rotor is too large. The 99 rotor will work on my 07, but it's smaller, and it doesn't work particularly well. It should also be noted that the rotors on the 07 are the wave style rotors, and I think that those started in 07, so you may be good from 98 up to 06.

That's not entirely true. When I put the rear wheel from my 07wr450 on My 99 yz250, the rear brake rotor is too large. The 99 rotor will work on my 07, but it's smaller, and it doesn't work particularly well. It should also be noted that the rotors on the 07 are the wave style rotors, and I think that those started in 07, so you may be good from 98 up to 06.

Oops, you're right. I forgot the rear rotor got an increase in size around 2000 as well. So basically, any rotor from 2001-up is interchangeable. Yes the newer ones are wave rotors, but that doesn't make a difference, the old style ones will still work fine.