Sign in to follow this  

KX65/RM65 - which flywheel weight works best: 8, 10 or 12oz

Anyone have any actual experiences using a flywheel weight on a KX65 or RM65. Looking at one from Steahly, and they come in wt's of 8, 10 and 12oz's. Have a 12oz on my sons KX85 and it works fine, just didn't know if the 12oz might be too much for the 65? Mainly do mx track riding (not racing)Thanks

• Like 1

We put a 10oz on a 2003 rm 65, it worked great. Didnt hinder his riding at all, never stalled. I bought it to tame the power band and I dont think it even did that, it really helped my son in corners though. We ride track by the way. My only complaint with steahly is the guy ALWAYS forgets half your order so you are waiting a week for the rest of the crap you ordered....

• Like 1

We put a 10oz on a 2003 rm 65, it worked great. Didnt hinder his riding at all, never stalled. I bought it to tame the power band and I dont think it even did that, it really helped my son in corners though. We ride track by the way. My only complaint with steahly is the guy ALWAYS forgets half your order so you are waiting a week for the rest of the crap you ordered....

I'm confused, if it didn't tame the powerband, what did it do? Would you have gotten the 12oz if you had to do it again?

• Like 1

No, I think the 12oz would have been a hinderence to his riding. Honestly, the only reason I bought one was because my son was coming off a TTR-90, he rode the RM twice before the motor blew so I just bought a Steahly since I had the engine apart anyway. It may have tamed the power band a bit, but did not rob any power. I got better results taming the power band on my other sons KX 65 by using a 14t front sprocket as opposed to the stock 13t that is on the 03 models of the RM and KX 65. Where I thought the fly wheel weight was good was in corners where he wasnt down shifting the inertia from the fly wheel weight kept him from stalling.

I know you want actual experience, but I'm chiming in because I am trying to decide what weight to put on my son's RM65. We put a 10oz. on our KX100, but I am now thinking it is a little too much. So I'm not sure if I want to go with a 10 or 8 for the RM65. That 65 has a heck of a hit to it!

IMO, 12 would be an aweful lot for track riding...

We ride all tight woods, very little to no tracks.

I have a 12oz on my daughters kx65. It works great for her! Starts eaiser, doesnt stall in corners and still gets on the pipe fast (just not instantly like before).