Sign in to follow this  

not starting

So I just put in a new JE and all new OEM valves. My bike does not want to start when cold. It took me 20 minutes during break in and the ride after I had to bump start it. Once I get it started that first time for that day it starts fine and runs fine the rest of the day. Im thinking its either timing or my valves are just setting in the seats. Gonna check my valves tomorrow and see. What do you guys think?

If the motor is performing, your timing should be good... I would check the valve clearances. They can seat in around .001" when breaking in... They may be tight.

If hard starting keeps happening, dial your fuel screw. I found with my 08, if the fuel screw isn't right it will be hard to start, right fuel screw setting and it starts nice n easy most of the time...

Also sometimes I find if you give it the smallest amount of throttle while kicking it will fire right up. Open the throttle the smallest amount that you can, 1mm or so or less.

And you can always do Ron Hamps decompressor mod.

I would narrow it down to the fuel screw if you haven't set it after the rebuild. Because after I stuck in my JE piston, the fuel screw did need some dialing to get it to idle properly and start properly.

Does the compression feel good or better? could very well be a valve problem, did u check to see if the new valves sealed tight, (solvent test) etc. Double check cam timing and valve clearances, its easy to get it a tooth off. Dont get too scared yet...

Compression feels the same. I put a permanent marker mark on the cam and chain, lined them up and had the cam lobes facing the rear. Dang i should have done a leak test. 👍 I used my stock shims too again...

double check your timing. Remove the plug in the ignition cover. There are two marks there. The first is firing and the second is top dead center. When the two marks are lined up on the cam lobes flush with the cylinder head you should be able to see both of those lines in the hole. It will probably be closer to the second/TDC line.

And the valve clearances -- you cannot re use stock shims most of the time because they cut the seats, and then the valves sit further up in the head therefore needing a thinner shim. You most likely have too tight of clearances causing the hard starting. Because if the timing was off a tooth it would not run strong.

Ok thats what I needed to hear. Im sure its just the shims then as I thought. I was pretty picky before putting the motor together to get the timing correct so I dont think thats it.

Oh and about the shims wearing out, I could still see the thickness numbers

perfectly haha but ya cant tell without a digital micrometer I know...

Thanks everyone.