Sign in to follow this  

Changed over to Amsoil, temp dropped noticably

So, when I bought the bike it would run up to around 300 on longer highway runs when I was doing 80ish. Yesterday, it was running at 310 when I blazed home from work, so this morning I dumped the oil and filled it with Amsoil.

I took the bike out for a 25 mile run to get temps up and I ran it all highway, which is where it gets hot. I ran it hard, no less than 80, and really pushed it to bring up the temps. I could not get the bike over 265 today.

I will say that the oil in the bike was older, but not that bad. On the other hand, it was possibly 10/40, and surely regular Honda oil that the dealer had put in the bike when I bought it.

I had to use 1 Qt + 2 oz of 20/50 Amsoil, and the rest was 10/40 Amsoil cause that was all I had on hand. Still, I figure I'm running around 15/45 and that is better than 10/40 in the summer. :)

Anyhoo, Amsoil/Synthetic seems to really make a difference. Temps today were the same as yesterday, but my bike thought it was a lot cooler.

Glad to hear you found an easy way to address your temp issue. Not surprising. I have had similar experiences in my autos when changing from regular oil to syn. On my 85 CJ7 (back before computer controlled idle speeds) I also saw an increase in idle speed of about 150 rpm, which I could only contribute to less friction.

Mike.

300 degree's:prof:

I didnt know this was possible, i would worry about motor damage at those temps. What is the air temp your riding in?

I run my pig all day long and it doesnt get over 140-180. 1st gear in the woods on a 90 degree day it will get to 220 and thats it:excuseme:

I didnt know this was possible, i would worry about motor damage at those temps. What is the air temp your riding in?

I run my pig all day long and it doesnt get over 140-180. 1st gear in the woods on a 90 degree day it will get to 220 and thats it:excuseme:

I think that he was talking about a 650L. Air cooled engines run hotter.

That sounds promising. I picked up 3 qts of 10/40 amsoil synthetic @ the KTM dealership, the only place I've seen it other than online. I hope mine runs cooler too. No 20/50 there.

That sounds promising. I picked up 3 qts of 10/40 amsoil synthetic @ the KTM dealership, the only place I've seen it other than online. I hope mine runs cooler too. No 20/50 there.

Even if it's synthetic, for hot desert temperatures 20w-50 is a must.

It's possible. I hit 250 on the way home today. This weekend I hope to mount my motard fender that will allow a little more flow. I want to see if this helps also.

If it does not lower it more, I have an XR400 oil cooler to install. I am hoping I don't have to, but I'm thinking that with my coming upgrades it will be necessary. martin doesn't know it but he's convinced me to go to a hi-comp piston, stage 1 cam, and a high flow header to finish off the motor for now.

Yes, I am sick, and I need help. 👍

005-2.jpg

006-3.jpg

What's the difference between Amsoil and Mobil One? 👍

Not sure,

I do know that Amsoil is fully synthetic, and I think there is only one other fully synthetic out there.

Not sure,

I do know that Amsoil is fully synthetic, and I think there is only one other fully synthetic out there.

I always thought that Mobil One was fully synthetic also? 👍

Anyone?

I always thought that Mobil One was fully synthetic also? 👍

Anyone?

there are many "full synthetic" oils the are actually highly refined mineral oils...mobil 1, Castrol Syntec(i currently use) just to name a few...they are VERY gud oils...but not really synthetics in my book but "full synthetic" by the legal definition...:worthy:

then there are true synthetics made from synthetic base stocks (not mineral base stock) Amsoil (sells both) and Redline to name a few...

i know it's confusing but when lawyers get envolve that's wut u end up with :blah:

since i didn't buy my bike new, or plan to keep it forever and change my oil less than every 1000 miles(i'm still working on determining the change interval) i'm very comfortable with wut is called "full synthetic":thumbsup:

:busted:

there are many "full synthetic" oils the are actually highly refined mineral oils...mobil 1, Castrol Syntec(i currently use) just to name a few...they are VERY gud oils...but not really synthetics in my book but "full synthetic" by the legal definition...👍

then there are true synthetics made from synthetic base stocks (not mineral base stock) Amsoil (sells both) and Redline to name a few...

i know it's confusing but when lawyers get envolve that's wut u end up with :doh:

since i didn't buy my bike new, or plan to keep it forever and change my oil less than every 1000 miles(i'm still working on determining the change interval) i'm very comfortable with wut is called "full synthetic":thumbsup:

:D

I'm using Mobil One, because in my crazy mind :blah: I thought it was a true synthetic :busted:

Either way, it does run cooler with the Mobil One. I would use Amsoil but I don't know where to get it :worthy:

I use Mobil 1 and the piggy (XRL) likes it. Runs cooler and shifts noticeably smoother too.

I use Mobil 1 and the piggy (XRL) likes it. Runs cooler and shifts noticeably smoother too.

One thing I did notice after changing to Mobil 1 is that my clutch seems a little grabby. Nothing major, but it seemed a little smoother with the dino oil.

Have you noticed that too? 👍

glad to hear your temps dropped...not saying its purely amsoil, although I do run their products, but synthetics of all types (even the non truly synthetic oils) are much better for many things than any conventional oil.

Unless your worried the temps may go higher, id say your fine where your at now....most synthetics can easily take up to 300 degrees for long periods of time.

Hope I am replying to to the picture of that 650L, that is exactly what I would like to own! Like my last bike, just needed the big tank and the tires. Not to mention the pipe as well, and I noticed the "octopus" is gone also. Nice bike, very nice bike! Very well done!

Do know that my buddy changed to Amsoil in his Cummins Diesel 5.9, and towing a 28ft AirStream, he gets 25mpg. We're talking 10,000 lbs rolling.