DRZ-400SM w salvage title

Hey guys, I'm looking at a used 07 DRZ-400SM with 3800 miles that has a restored salvage title. He claims the bike was stolen and recovered. He also mentions theres less than 100 miles on "complete engine rebuild" and hes got receipts to prove it. My first question is what does "restored salvage title" mean? He lists the VIN, would running the VIN through carfax show reveal anything about why the bike was salvaged? Also, I dont know much about 4 stroke bikes but do these things need to be rebuilt at 4000 miles? That seems a bit soon. Anyways the asking price is 4200 bucks. What do you guys think? What should I look out for if/when I go check it out.

Thanks a lot.

anything can happen, but to be rebuilt at 4000 miles something out of the ordinary must have happened.

Salvage title usually means it was wrecked and the repairs were worth more than 60% of the bike's value...in this case probably at least $3,000. That's a LOT of damage for a dirt bike. The owner probably bought it back from the insurance company and rebuilt it, or someone found it in a salvage yard and rebuilt it.

I have heard of salvage titles due to theft, but I'm not really familiar with the details. I guess if the bike is recovered after the insurance company has paid out on it, it might get a rebuilt title that way, regardless of actual condition...or it could have been parted out and required $3k to buy all the parts to make it whole again???

Anyway though, if it was wrecked and required $3k in repairs, I sure as hell wouldn't pay $4200 for it. You should be able to find a used, non-salvage one for close to that.

"restored salvage title" means the guys that stole it trashed the motor and it took so much money to rebuild the motor that the inshorens toalted it out

how much is he asking for it??? --- "4200 bucks"

that is 2grand to mutch in my opinon

you would be so much better off buying a new 7,000 bike

I have heard of salvage titles due to theft, but I'm not really familiar with the details. .

typically the bike will get damaged when stolen (punched locks, bike dropped, that sort of thing). If the price to fix the bike is equal to or more than what the bike is worth, it is considered salvage at that point. If the owner takes the buy out from the insurance company, but buys back the bike, or if it is sold at auction, it'll be listed as salvaged, even if it was purely cosmetic issues

The most intresting part of a salvage title bike or car for that matter is when you go try to buy full coverage insurance on it. Make sure you are up on your CPR classes or have 911 on speed dial because your insurance agent will have a stroke from laughing too hard ?

then make your best educated decision on the things that you have heard from this site,i have read all the things the other guys have said and i agrree with alot of it however, out of curiosity why would you buy a salvage bike anyway!!! are you going to try to finance this thing if you are planning to do that then good luckk get a new one dude. it might cost you like 40 more a month but it would definetly be worth it and get aig insurance i only pay 50 a month for mine.

thats ridiculous when the wheels alone are worth 1100

it's not uncommon for the market value of an itemto be less than the sum of its parts...especially a motor vehicle with a salvage title. If the seller wants more than $2k out of it, he should part it out. Nobody's gonna pay $4200 for a severely damaged bike they can't insure or finance when they can pay that for a used one with similar mileage, a clean title and untainted history.

Way too much money.

I may be wrong but I think in Oregon if there is any frame damage to a bike they give it a salvage title. There was a guy up here selling a 05S with a salvage title for $1500 and couldn't get anybody to come look at it. I wish I had bought it and parted it out but oh well.

why you sayin the wheels aren't worth that???????

And correct me if i'm wrong but salvage titles work different in different states?

You are correct about the different states and salvage titles, but a bike with a salvage title is never worth more then half of normal market value. No the wheels are not worth 1100 dollars, you can buy new wheels for that much, so I would not pay 1100 for used wheels.

You are correct about the different states and salvage titles, but a bike with a salvage title is never worth more then half of normal market value. No the wheels are not worth 1100 dollars, you can buy new wheels for that much, so I would not pay 1100 for used wheels.

Just a heads up........

thats a typical ebay amount on used sumo wheels with rotors and sprockets......

just Sayin'

?

:worthy:

just thought i'd let you know for comparison theres a 2005 sm just listed on ebay with 1600 miles in OHIO with a theft recovery title (also salvage) for buy it now $3500.

hers a link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-DR-Z-2005-DRZ400SM-super-motard-1619-miles-Ohio-DRZ400-SM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ147905QQihZ014QQitemZ330264305366QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW