Front Sprocket play - Help!

Searched the forums and couldn't find anything on this.

While cleaning/lubing my chain today I noticed that I can push/pull the front sprocket in/out about an 1/8th to 3/16ths of an inch (or thereabout). Bik eonly has about 1200 miles on it.

Is that normal? Or is it a problem I need to fix? Is it a big problem or a minor problem? I'm getting ready for a 600 mile road trip and need to know if this is something that needs to be addressed immediately.

Mike.

First, is this an R or an L? ?

Second, are you talking about just the sprocket or the whole shaft?

I noticed on my R, just yesterday, that it (countershaft) has about that same play. I was going to get out my service manual and see what the tolerance is, but completely forgot about it until now. :D My bike also has about 1200 miles on it.

It is an XR650R. Probably the sprocket and shaft both moving (it was getting dark, the family was waiting on me to take them to dinner, so no time to investigate further). I don't think that the sprocket was slipping on the shaft.

Mike.

I just looked through my service manual and can't find any specs for the countershaft end play. Mine is doing the same thing. I would say it's normal, but it does seem like a lot of movement.

Does anyone else know how much play it shoudl have?

I replaced the sprockets and chain on my XR600R yesterday and found a lot of free play with the front sprocket, more than I'd have expected. This was just the sprocket moving on the shaft, not the shaft moving.

Using the search function (or just looking at "Similar Threads" at the bottom of this page).

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=680925

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=483173

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58950

Looks OK

I just looked through my service manual and can't find any specs for the countershaft end play. Mine is doing the same thing. I would say it's normal, but it does seem like a lot of movement.

Does anyone else know how much play it shoudl have?

I can't find a spec for it either in the FSM. There are a bunch of thrust washers that go between the gears on the countershaft and those would set the width of the assembly and ultimately the end play.

For comparison, the CS on my 600 only has maybe .020 to .030" of endplay. That's for the shaft itself; the sprocket play pushes the overall slop up to ~.125".

I would recommend taking a close look at the oil filter to rule out a failed or failing part.

I just changed the oil about a week before I noticed the endplay. I didn't notice anything abnormal about the oil. It's supposed to glitter in the sunlight right...? Just kidding. All looked well.

Any other 650R owners out there care to tug on their shaft a little and see how much play it has???

Next to no movment on the counter shaft on my XRR. The sprocket can move just a little bit from the keeper moving around in the grove of the CS.

You do have metal keeper and 2 bolts holding the sprocket on? ?

Just a quick check tonight.

If you want it measured with a caliper, I will do that during the day.