Sign in to follow this  

Front end acting weird

My front is starting to act weird and it is kinda hard to explain exaxctly what it is doing but I will try. When I push the bike and grab the front brake it seems like something is loose and it makes a funny noise like something is not right. At first I thought is was my brakes, but they seem to be grabbing fine and the problem seems to be more in my suspension.

I have narrowed it down to the three things I think it could be.

1. wheel bearing

2. steering bearings or loose steering

3. forks need work

My bike is an 05 yz250. It has about 70 hrs on it (hour meter) and I am guessing the previous owner took good care of it but probably has not replaced any bearings.

Any ideas on what my problem might be? I was hoping to make it until winter and do a complete teardown so I don't want to start replacing things that don't need replacing. I just want my bike to run good and tight and then get into things this winter. Basically I want a quick fix, if that is what will fix it.

Triple clamps loose ? Take a look at the triple clamps when you hit the brake and see if they move around. Is it a knocking sound or what ?

It didn't seem like the triple clamps were loose but I didn't suspect that and didn't take a hard look there. A nocking sound would be a good way to describe it. It happens right when I grab the front brake. When I work the forks up and down it is also there but not as obvious.

Its the floating disc my bike has one too and i went through the exact same worry.. to prove it go down and grab the disc and try moving it.. ull see. they are supposed to have some freeplay

I don't think that the floating disc is the problem or I would have noticed it before. I did grab the front disk and it seems pretty tight. Any other suggestions as to what the problem is?

Fork bushings probably. If they've never been serviced, time for new seals, bushings and oil.

That is not what I wanted to hear. Is there anything else it could be that is easier to check that I should eliminate first before I tear into my forks? By the way the forks have been revalved by factory connection so they have been serviced within the 70 hrs the bike has on it.

I would at least grease the front steering head bearings. At 70 hours they are worth looking at. If you have not opened it up yet, get ready to buy some bearings.

I don't think that the floating disc is the problem or I would have noticed it before. I did grab the front disk and it seems pretty tight. Any other suggestions as to what the problem is?

Before you start ripping things apart and spending money you may not have to, lets be sure?

Unless the floating part or your disc is worn you probably wouldn't notice any movement in it by hand. Try standing on the right side of the front wheel, apply the front brake with your left hand, grasp the tire with your right hand and try rotating it back and forth. While doing this look at your disc at the point where the inner and outer rings are connected by one of the large rivets, now you will see the movement (float), and hear the sound it makes when it contacts the rivet on either side. On a side note, when the YZ was new to me I detected some looseness in what I was sure was the steering stem. This was felt not heard, and only felt when I was pushing it up a hill in my backyard, no brake involved. I put it on the stand but couldn't find any play in the stem, still I was certain it was in the stem so I went ahead and re-adjusted it slightly tighter anyway. The next time I push it up that hill, BAM-I feel it again. Back on the stand with the wheel removed I finally figure out that it was coming from a very slight movement between the upper and lower fork tubes, I asked a local mechanic about this and he said a little movent here is normal. Recently I removed the fork legs from the CR and found the same thing. When I took them to the local suspension guy for a re-valve, I asked him about this, he gave me the same answer.

I was referring to the steering stem when I said triple clamps. Was it loose ? I'm interested in what you find to be the problem.