Sign in to follow this  

Modifying cr125 tripple clamps?

I am putting on some '85 CR125 forks on a 230. The stem needs to be shortened 5/8". Rather than use spacers it looks like the stem could be pressed further into the tripple clamp the full 5/8" and then the bottom protusion milled off. Has anyone done this? It appears that the stem bearing surface OD is the same as the hole in the tripple clamps and there is plenty of bearing surface to accomodate the lower bearing after pressing the stem an extra 5/8". Thanks. Cam.

Cam, I did that swap on my XR185 dual shocker and discovered the stem won't BUDGE even in my 20 ton press. I cut it off and had a machine shop bore it to accept my XRs stock steel stem;what was left of it was paper-thin and it still wouldn't move. My swap came out awesome, on your i would just make a spacer. 'nutcase

Thanks for the info,

I had a machinist look at it today and it appears that the pressed in part may be a few thousand larger than the 26mm bearing surface, so my plan woudln't work anyway. I had heard that they are tough to get apart so thanks for confirming. My plan B is to cut 5/8" out of the stem, join it with a grade 8 threaded stud and then weld. I chose not to go with the spacer as I am trying to keep the front end as low as possible and figure that the 5/8" lower clamp could hit the tire. I suppose I should mock it up to see before I cut the stem. Thanks. Cam.

I just did the 125 fork mod, what I did was press out the stem and turned it down to fit the stock 230 bearings and recut a groove at the bottom for the clip. it worked out great you just assemble the trees in reverse. You will need to use the spacer so the trees line up on the forks.

jimceno,

What year forks did you start with. My 85 triples fit the 230 bearings exactly except that the stem is 5/8" too long.