Sign in to follow this  

Starting problem...

My cr250 has ran strong the whole time Ive had it and has started EVERY time 1 kick in the cold early mornings when the enging is at its coldest but after sitting two weeks waiting for steering head bearings but now that ive been riding it its not starting like it used to. Ive rode it every day since working and used more than two tanks but it hasent changed. When i kick it it gives me no feedback until about the 15th kick and still takes 4 to 5. When warm first kick every time though. Im guessing its gonna need a top end rebuild soon but just wanted to get somone elses opinion just end case.:) Thanks for any help guys.

cr man

Sounds like you hit the nail on the head. That is the only time I have ever had problems with starting. New ring, might be a fix too. Or just do the topend.

I think if it was your topend going bad the problem would come on more gradually. Did you try a different plug? Compression test?

The good thing about doing a tope end is you have everything off and it is easy to check all the gaskets since your changing them. That should in turn solve any compression problems. Unless you are losing some as a result of suction somwhere else.

I think if it was your topend going bad the problem would come on more gradually. Did you try a different plug? Compression test?

Well today aka the coldest day since first starting it 2 kicks got it going. Idk whats up with it. im probly gonna take it apart tonight to check the ring gap

There is no need to pull a motor apart to check cylinder or ring gap. If you check compression the guage will tell condition. If compression is high, there is nothing wrong and you wasted time and money. If it's low, then sure, take it apart and find out why. compression guages are cheap and can find them at any auto parts store. I had 2 (96 & 00 ) that were 230 with fresh top ends but, have heard they are ok as long as they are over 200.

Don't forget the reeds. Bad reeds will also make it hard to start. I had one that couldn't be started with 100 kicks. found cracked reed and thats all it was.

Ok then im gonna need to get a compression guage and toughen up and read the sticky on how to. Thanks for telling me that t-roy 450r

It's very very easy. remove the spark plug and screw in the fitting on the guage. (doesn't have to be real tight.) hop on the bike and kick the motor over with slight throttle openning untill the guage doesn't climb anymore. 1 or 2 kicks is not enough because the guage and hose adds to the size of the combustion chamber. so kick untill it stops (about 8-10) and thats your compression. Let us know what it is.👍

That way is different than the way on the sticky. Where can i get the compression tester???

What sticky? hope you don't mean thread PRESSURE-TESTING A 2-STROKE. Thats is not for compression testing. that is for testing gaskets, seals and carb boot.

Most auto parts stores have compression testers. Sears or other tool stores may also. Don't buy anything like that from harbor freight though.

If you live at a higher altitude your compression won't read as high. Also if the guage doesn't screw in the hole as far as the spark plug goes it will read lower.

What sticky? hope you don't mean thread PRESSURE-TESTING A 2-STROKE. Thats is not for compression testing. that is for testing gaskets, seals and carb boot.

Most auto parts stores have compression testers. Sears or other tool stores may also. Don't buy anything like that from harbor freight though.

Ohhhh I think ive hit my head on to many low hanging branches. So ill get one from somwhere tomorrow and see. Thanks for saving me on that:thumbsup:

If you live at a higher altitude your compression won't read as high. Also if the guage doesn't screw in the hole as far as the spark plug goes it will read lower.

I live at about 1500 feet so will that effect it very much?

All I know is that I live at 5500ft and I never have a reading above 150psi even on engines that run great.

Your air pressure will never be the same. It changes with everyday, based on humiduty, elevation, temperature, etc. What you need is a base number to go off of at your altitude. Maybe a brand new bike or a friend with the same bike and a new top end in it or something. There basically can not be any variable to get a good number. My suggestion would be to do a test now and then one when you do the top end. That is the only way you will know what compression is related to what problems.

No one around here has even close to the same bike as me because i know like 3 people around where i live aka the middle of nowhere unfortunate for me

Unfortunately then, I think that you are going to have to create a baseline for yourself. That means testing and recording numbers, including conditions like temperature, humidity, elevation, etc...

Like t-roy was saying earlier. check your reeds. If those are good then, replace the spark plug, if you still have problems then check the compression. and then replace the top end or atleast the ring. And then check your compression if it is able to start.

I would record the compression numbers at each stage. Prior to doing anything. After you replace anything. This way you have somewhat a baseline to go off of in the future.