Sign in to follow this  

1988 xr600 trans problem

I have a 1988 xr600 that seems to be not going all the way into 3rd gear.

All other gears are working fine. If I don't accelerate hard it stays in gear, if I'm on the throtle hard it feels as if the chain is jumping a tooth on the sprokets. Any thoughts on what I'm dealing with,as in bent shifting fork,bad gears? thanks in advance Kevin

The XR600s of that era were known to have weak 3rd gears. The dogs break off and can cause the whole tranny to self destruct. I experienced the same problem on an '85 XR350, caught it in time before any catastrophic damage was done. I hate to say it, but it sounds like an engine teardown is in order.

Fix it right now! If you keep riding it you will almost for sure kill it.

With an 88 it's one of those do you really want to fix it kind of things. If a shop does the work it will be expensive as in around $1000 or more. Even if you do the work it will still be a lot. The gears are not cheap and average a little over $100 a set from the least expensive sources. I spent about $220 replacing second and third on my 93.

If it doesn't seem worth the cost you can always part it out on ebay. You will get more that way than selling a whole, but broken bike.