Sign in to follow this  

Does this seem right?

I finally started riding to work. I filled up last weekend and rode about 67 miles over the 5 days. Today I decided to go fill up for this week and got about 1 mile from my house and the bike stalled. I put it on RES and it started. Got to the gas station and it took 1.3 gallons???? Could I have really been on reserve only using that much gas, or is there something else going on? I didn't really let the bike warm up but it was in the 80's today so I didn't think it was that cold. I took it very easy for the first mile before it stalled.

Am I getting this correctly: you filled up (full?) and rode 1 mile and it took another 1.3 gal????

Either you have a leak or you dreamt about filling up....:)

You'd notice a leak cause it would smell like gas...

Am I getting this correctly: you filled up (full?) and rode 1 mile and it took another 1.3 gal????

Either you have a leak or you dreamt about filling up....:)

You'd notice a leak cause it would smell like gas...

no, he went 68 miles & had to switch to reserve. took 1.3 gallons to fill.

something is odd. every time i've hit reserve, it took over 2 gallons to re-fill. and that's even if i got gas immediately after hitting reserve. this is with E model 2.6 gallon plastic tank.

Ah, I get it now.

So then you filled up and the"ON" position on the petcock works fine now?

If it only works on "RES" there may be something blocking the flow in the tank.

Also, did you fill up all the way or just to the lower opening of the tank?

Need to do a periodic fuel transfer wheelie, all the motion lotion is on the right side.

I've had to go to reserve twice now, and each time it took 1.8-1.9 gal to fill to the base of the neck. 1.8-1.9 gal seems low to me. 1.3 gal is way low.

I've had to go to reserve twice now, and each time it took 1.8-1.9 gal to fill to the base of the neck. 1.8-1.9 gal seems low to me. 1.3 gal is way low.

I filled it to the base of the neck - as full as it would go. It only took 1.3 gal.

1.8 gallons for me almost every time, 100-105 miles almost every time, after hitting reserve and riding a couple miles to the gas station.

Stock S steel tank.

You know, that seems about right. When I hit the 65-75 mile mark on my odometer I just switch it to reserve so I don't stall. I guess it all depends on how hard you ride it. If you ride it reasonably hard, or do 75mph+ on it, that sounds about ball park to be hitting reserve. At least it does to me, lol.

What I would like to know is this...Let's say you are on reserve and you run your bike until it dies, if you put it on prime, will that get you enough gas to get you somewhere? Does the prime position put the pick up in the tank any lower than the reserve does?

You know, that seems about right. When I hit the 65-75 mile mark on my odometer I just switch it to reserve so I don't stall. I guess it all depends on how hard you ride it. If you ride it reasonably hard, or do 75mph+ on it, that sounds about ball park to be hitting reserve. At least it does to me, lol.

What I would like to know is this...Let's say you are on reserve and you run your bike until it dies, if you put it on prime, will that get you enough gas to get you somewhere? Does the prime position put the pick up in the tank any lower than the reserve does?

no. prime position only allows fuel to flow with no vacuum. it's there so that when the bike stops running from lack of fuel delivery in "on" position fuel can flow to the carb to re-start the bike in the "reserve" position