Sign in to follow this  

Stock tire question.

I have done a search and it seems the stock trailwings arent bad on the road. I will never go off road and ride the DR650 like a cruiser. I want road tires because they look cool but was wondering if there are any benefits that could justify getting new tires for a bike with only 450 miles on it. Better mileage, less noise, smoother, anything? Should I even bother? Thanks.

I would wear the wings out first then get something more road orientated next change.:)

+2 on wearing out the wings. Plus as an added bonus if you want to take a gravel road or go down a trail you can. I actually like mine on the road. They will stick a corner great and I have 2300 miles on mine and the rear should go 4000

rubber is rubber on pavement as the dr is no sportbike/sport tourer. wear out and then change.

Keep the stock tires until you wear them out, then put on something stickier -I'd recommend either Tourance, Annakee, D607, Scorpion, or Distanzia. D607s are especially good on asphalt, very sticky. However, the stock Trailwing is a good road tire - I have outcornered sportbikes in the North GA mountain twisties on my DR650 with its stock Trailwings. I like the TW except I can not get more than 2300 miles out of a rear.

Trailwings are actually pretty good on the road. If you're happy with the 21" on the front I'd wear them out before buying new street tires. The only reason I changed mine is because I bought the bike specifically to convert to a supermotard.

Another +1 for wearing out the TWs before changing them out. I got a hair over 5000 miles out of mine (purely street) before they had to be changed.