Sign in to follow this  

Advice with purchase: TC 610

My Husky is currently up in the ads; and I'm already looking for my next bike.

I found a 2000 TC 610 that looks to be in fairly good condition, and looks awesome, if a bit expensive. Will have to get the owner to drop the price down a bit.

Most importantly, I don't wanna be tricked again. Can anyone knowledgeable take a look and tell me what you think of this bike? Is it really built in 2000?

And is it a real 610 this time? Or am I gonna have to take a straw and measure his piston stroke before buying? :D I think it's in fairly good condition.

The thing that bugs me this has 60 hp, and motocross transmission - that means four gears. Isn't that a bit harsh? I mean, doesn't it run out of gears like really quickly? I think this doesn't go quicker than 75 mph. Is this gonna be too much bite for offroad riding? I have a feeling it's gonna wanna constantly be on the back wheel, it only weighs some 230 lbs.

Is the maintenance any different than on a TE ? I know it's just a few HP more so it can't be that much different am I right? All the usual regular oil changes, filter cleaning, looking at valves (this still uses rocker arms and lock nut adjusters, not shims right??) etc.

Are there any specific problems with this year? I went to look at it 6 months

ago but I hardly remember anything about it. He just said the vibrations snapped his exhaust off :worthy:

Looks like one hell of a bike, I'm digging the USD forks :)

5dorigiq5.jpg

5eorigzr8.jpg

5forigav6.jpg

60origzl0.jpg

I'm no expert but it looks like a 2000 610. They also made a 410 that looks similar so you are right to want to make sure it is indeed a 610. Can't be sure from here.

The differences from the current 610 are many......right hand drive, kick only on the left..no counterbalancer or oil pump or filters in the motor. On the other hand it is much lighter than the current 610 and from what I understand it has loads of power with a bit of vibration.

I bet you will want to service if not revalve those USD forks. They use these bikes in the desert and i bet you can gear it for 100mph easy, though I don't know how well it'll do in the woods if you do that.

It looks like it is in good shape...ride it and see if you like it.

Rich,

You might not be able to gear a TC610 to do 100mph and anything else. I think they have a MX close ratio 4 speed gear box.

Norman

Don't care that much about top speed, it was more informative. I am not allowed on the streets, even 60 mph is enough for me then. At least won't be that much shifting as on a 6 speed.

So only the E-starts have an oil filter/pump? Damn.

As for the left kick hell yes, I'm a left-hander so I don't think I could even turn the thing over if it was on the right side, my right leg is not very strong.

570/610's have an oil pump and filter set up, but not that you would recognize normally.

The filters are on the right, between the drive and the generator casing, the oil line that sprays the big end runs from it.

The oil pump is behind the clutch on the other side of the motor, and is a reed arrangement, I believe.

Even with a 4 speed box, it should be plenty powerful enough, make sure the brakes work before riding, as it will get around in a hurry.

They are easy to work on maintenance wise, engine out in half an hour, valve clearances easy to do, put your FCR on that, match it to a decent exhaust and you won't have any problems.