Sign in to follow this  

drz400s front brake mods?

Thinking of installing a set of sintered pads to hopefully give better braking on my 400s, anyone done this? Next on the list will be an aftermarket front hose.

Still considering whether to go the 320mm disc upgrade route but not sure if I want to spend that sort of money. Anyone know what the best deal on a 320mm disc and bracket is? (Already checked TT store.)

After some research it seems the sm and s models have different caliper mounting points on the forks so I would need to look for a mounting bracket specifically for an s, is that right? Any leads on good deals on mounting brackets?

Thanks in advance for any info.

I run both on my S when it is in SM mode. The 320 kit uses a caliper relocation bracket. If not running in SM mode you likely will be happy with just the SS line. The SS line makes a huge improvement alone. When I running in SM mode, both are almost to much, but I am an SM noob. I still am not using it to it's potential. Here in "Rocky" Mountains a 320 front rotor on a dirt wheel while trail riding would get beat up quickly.

You should try the ss brake line first,imo.

I just installed a Goodridge front line on my 400s.

Huge difference,but still very controllable.

Lots of people have tried different pads, with limited success, most end up back with oe, sometimes, oe is best. The only brake pads I've ever tried that made a difference are by Bendix, I don't think they make them for DRZs. :)

Lots of people have tried different pads, with limited success, most end up back with oe, sometimes, oe is best. The only brake pads I've ever tried that made a difference are by Bendix, I don't think they make them for DRZs. :)
I've tried various pads (the track eats them) and haveto say that for me personally, the best aftermarket ones I've used (and am now sticking with) are Gold Fren - give real bite and confidence. Don't last longer than a couple of months but that's due to daily commuting, trackdays and racing.

Hi Ant. Never heard of those, where can I get some to try?
I've been getting mine off an ebay seller...

3e47_1.JPG

eBay link

He sells fronts and rears individually as well.

I use SBS Street Excel or Sinter offroad racing.. both do even better than stock Nissins

I've been getting mine off an ebay seller...

3e47_1.JPG

eBay link

He sells fronts and rears individually as well.

Cheers dude! Added them to my watch list.