Sign in to follow this  

Engine Failure 2006 TE 450

I always thought proper care and easy riding would lead to a long, enjoyable tenure for my bike. This appears not to be the case. Before you read this a word to the wise, this can happen to you. Not looking for sympathy here, just adding my story to the sad lot.

2006 TE 450 -1350 miles on the bike, no engine mods, oil and filter changes done properly every 200 miles. Proper break-in all the t's cross with this machine. Up tite Y and vent filter in use.

Bike was running fine, no issues at all. Valve shims checked and replaced at 1100 miles. Bike was starting and idling PERFECT, did not see this coming at all.

Coming home from a 2 hour ride yesterday and had to shut the bike down. Here's what happend.

Engine started missing like I was running out of gas. Fliped to reserve, still missing. About 1/4 mile after that heard the frightening sounds of clacking and metal on metal in the engine. Shut it down.

Wife picked me up in the truck took it home and checked the oil. Level was fine. Fired the bike 1 time, it started right up, but lots of fatal sounding noises were heard. Shut it down right away.

All my wife said to me was make sure you record 60 Minutes before we eat.

There is a Husky dealer in Memphis, Fletcher Cycles, any opinions on the possibility of warranty service on this bike? Is it too old? Mileage and hours are quite low for something like this to happen. I'm going to open it up today, if I can stomach it, a follow up as more information is available.

TT

Sorry to hear about it :) . Best of luck & please keep us informed. I like to hear what let loose

Sounds like what happened to a KTM I had, always serviced every ride and it rewarded me with a rod out of the front of the motor. Although I did not have as many miles as you. I did not get any help from KTM btw. Sorry to hear it.

Sorry to hear of the failure, please keep Us posted, I have the same bike:eek:

But a few less miles.

Nothing worse than stuff like that happening.

Love it and care it, then a knife in the back.:)

Sucks hope you get it sorted quick and cheap!

Pull the ignition cover off and check screws that hold the stator. Seen them com loose and hit on mag making noise and making miss.

I truly hope you are lucky with the noise issue!

Good thing to turn it off though! Good luck!

Please excuse my venting!!!

I blew my motor at 72 hours!

Apparently my oil pump failed????

Crank, barrel, piston, rings etc,,, R19000.00 in the end

It only cost R60 000.00 almost 30% of cost to repair.

All I was told here by importers is “Sh1t happens”!!

This is my first Husky 4 stroke and it has been pampered, every 4 hours new oil, every 8 new oil and filter. (Belray Thumper)

I clean the filter after every ride!

In the past I have only owned Husky 2 strokes. (Since 1987)

I’m having endless problems with clutch now! What next?

These bikes are no where near what they used to be!

I could load up and travel to Zimbabwe or Botswana to race without ever having issues. Now I’m to scared to get to far from race control, waiting for something to happen.

I am the last of a dying breed here and am the only one competing locally on a Husky.

Little/no support and the importers want to use every order you place to get rich and make up for poor sales. (If they have the parts) I get most of my parts from Motoexotica in the States. (Brilliant service at half the price) But! Time is an issue! He sends them to me in 4 days, THEN! Our “BLOODY” custom officials sit with it for about 2 weeks! Grrrr At the moment I am so despondent and fed up I doubt I would ever take money out again for a Husky

It seems the new Husky 300 is just a 250 with a big bore? (No elec start either)

Back to two strokes for me ! (Perhaps a KTM 300)

A loyal husky fan/fanatic for 21 years!!!!

Husky still rules! or does it?

Thanks to all for chiming in....

Good but strange news to report. I lost a valve shim of all things. It popped out of the right intake valve and was sitting on the bottom of the bucket when I took the head cover off. How bizzare huh? Now to figure out what exactly caused it. Either way no serious damage was done and there is still some hope for a full recovery.

Early lessons here....things are not always as bad as they may seem and shut the motor off and keep it off as soon as you hear any metal on metal.

Thanks to George at Up-tite for his advise and help as a I solve the "shim popping mystery".

TT

That is good news and I can see how that would make a racket!

I had a similar thing happen to my Yamaha....was riding along when the motor started sounding like a can of marbles..

Stopped the bike right away towed home and and took the motor apart. All I could find was a tiny piece of trans grear wedged in the kickstart idler gear. I replaced 3rd gear and put the motor back together and it's run great ever since. That tiny piece made the idler gear wobble like crazy. If I rode another 100yrds I'm usre the noise would have stopped.

I understand that bike has cam rockers that move to the side to change shims. Maybe a rocker moved over for some reason?

Ah, good old adjusting screws, at least they don't pop out. Still they can get loose sometimes 👍

I truly hope you are lucky with the noise issue!

Good thing to turn it off though! Good luck!

Please excuse my venting!!!

I blew my motor at 72 hours!

Apparently my oil pump failed????

Crank, barrel, piston, rings etc,,, R19000.00 in the end

It only cost R60 000.00 almost 30% of cost to repair.

All I was told here by importers is “Sh1t happens”!!

This is my first Husky 4 stroke and it has been pampered, every 4 hours new oil, every 8 new oil and filter. (Belray Thumper)

I clean the filter after every ride!

In the past I have only owned Husky 2 strokes. (Since 1987)

I’m having endless problems with clutch now! What next?

These bikes are no where near what they used to be!

I could load up and travel to Zimbabwe or Botswana to race without ever having issues. Now I’m to scared to get to far from race control, waiting for something to happen.

I am the last of a dying breed here and am the only one competing locally on a Husky.

Little/no support and the importers want to use every order you place to get rich and make up for poor sales. (If they have the parts) I get most of my parts from Motoexotica in the States. (Brilliant service at half the price) But! Time is an issue! He sends them to me in 4 days, THEN! Our “BLOODY” custom officials sit with it for about 2 weeks! Grrrr At the moment I am so despondent and fed up I doubt I would ever take money out again for a Husky

It seems the new Husky 300 is just a 250 with a big bore? (No elec start either)

Back to two strokes for me ! (Perhaps a KTM 300)

A loyal husky fan/fanatic for 21 years!!!!

Husky still rules! or does it?

The oil pump failure can be caused by putting the front screen in backwards and starving the oil pump pick up.

Thanks for the update, glad it worked out well.

Now I can sleep well again 👍

Interested to hear if anyone else has had any valve seating, resession or other issues that may have caused the shim to pop out. Gonna start a new thread.

Glad to hear your engine's not trashed! Appreciate your info on the shim with the new thread, could happen to any of us it sounds like?

At least some good news. I was getting worried about what is on the horizon for my bike.

How is that "oil screen in backwards" avoided - is the screen clearly marked or does the manual clearly show the orientation? Just trying to find if details are considered in their design.

"The oil pump failure can be caused by putting the front screen in backwards and starving the oil pump pick up. "