Sign in to follow this  

Steering slop help with a stabilizer?

My Son just went from a KTM 65 to the 150R. It is a touch big but he does just fine. The only thing he complains about is how sloppy the steering is. There does not seem to be any play in the bearing but the steering seems way to loose from right to left. I run a Scotts undermount set-up on my KTM and wonder if there is a better set-up for the Honda. He took a pretty big fall Sat. when the bars were twisted out of his hands. He said the bike has head shake at upper speeds on slightly bumpy flats.

The Scotts makes a HUGE difference BUT beware that the stabilizer post becomes the "NEW" handlebar stop. Often after a crash the post can come unclamped. You will need to keep an eye on it, or fabricate some sort of new stop mechanism so the post does not take the impacts.

Your top clamps hit the post at maximum turning. This is true for other models of Scotts as well (it hits on my 450R as well, but I had to fabricate my own stops on the frame).

Its not the best design, and you will also need to buy new top clamps (IE BRP) to run the Scotts' sub unit (as the stock setup has the risers integrated into the top clamp as one piece) , but I am sure you know that :)

Also make sure the suspension SAG is correct ... makes a big difference on these bikes. The rear sag in the manual is wrong ... should be 95mm.

its not the bike. he needs to learn how to control a bike with alot more power than hes used to. The same thing happened with me when i switched from an xr 80 to a yz85.

I agree with supervokes and mxrider3 being the CRF150R dose have 2x more hoespower then KTM 65 and suspension SAG may need be corrected if he a ligth rider.

It seems that all crf's have a steering problem, this is why there are offset triple clamps available for all crf's large and small, and you cant find them in existence for other bikes. Dont get me wrong, the bikes w/ problems, like my KTM 300 need triples. They move the forks back, putting more weight on the front wheel. The front end seems to "float". A more experienced rider could tell that their is definately something wrong. My dad bought his 06 250 and kept saying " I dont know it's like the front is real light and just drifts around in some straight aways and when I'm turning". Triple clamps were like an instant cure, Applied makes a set in a few different colors. He felt the bike was dangerous w/o them. We also bought them for my sons and nephews 150's and they said it was much much better. we have installed a scotts on top of these clamps ( scotts makes a top clamp that bolted right on) by fabricating our own post from one of thier steel weld on posts. They say they dont offer a post for top mounting, however welding our own legs onto their post works great. We did have to shorten the steering range a little (theirs not enough room between the tank and triple. A cut off piece of a flat washer was thick enough to tack weld onto the factory stop on the frame behind the front number plate, this shortens the steering very little, but enough. for now. tell him to sit as far forward as possible when he's not standing, this will help, good luck.