Sign in to follow this  

Road legal lights?

Does anybody know if the Baja designs dual racing headlights are road legal? I don't see them listed for the L.

In general the words Racing + Light = Not road legal. Think of them as high beam only. I have a 90/100 watt bulb in my Baja Designs headlight and another car fog light. Not 100% legal, but at least I have a low beam that doesn't totally blind oncoming drivers. Those race lights really put a lot of light into oncoming traffic.

Absolutely positively not road legal.

I run with my 8" race light on the street every now and then (just because I was too lazy to take it off). I point it straight down and still have cars flash me.

bd will sell you some wired for the L, with instructions. driving light on low, and spot on high. i got some with 55W bulbs. almost put them back on this past weekend, its actually starting to be almost dark at 0500hrs. ill try to get them on this weekend to see how they do.

They will really? I like them for the looks but I also like them for night riding here. Alot of times you are riding down a road with a corn field on one side and a steep hill on the other. Deer or bears pop out at any moment. Periferial lighting is so important. But not blinding a car coming at you is equally important.

bd will sell you some wired for the L, with instructions. driving light on low, and spot on high. i got some with 55W bulbs. almost put them back on this past weekend, its actually starting to be almost dark at 0500hrs. ill try to get them on this weekend to see how they do.

Alot of the dazzle of oncoming drivers has to do with the fluting of the light & then plain, basic, aiming of the light IMO.

BD offers 4 different fluting on the Fuegos - flood, modified drive, drive, & spot. Mix the flute designs for high & low, use a reasonable watt rating & aim accordingly.

@ BD's suggestion I got the "low" w/a modified flute, & "high" is a pure drive flute. Light's came with 55w bulbs, I've replaced them with 80's & have no issues with on-coming traffic while on "low" beam - 1 light, modified driving flute - both light working while on high)

No, they're not DOT "legal", but I've never had anyone check & no particular issues with on-coming drivers.

Fuego's on my R 👍

100-0029_IMG.jpg

DOT headlights have a cutoff on the low beam that keeps the light from going up. Any non low beam light will not have the cutoff.

Putting a HID in a reflector housing made for a halogen will also cause problems, but not as much as a racelight. The 650L headlight is of the reflector type and putting a HID in there will causwe a lot more glare to oncoming drivers.

Inn general you can use a HID in a projector light and get good low beam results. An example is the Acerbis Cyclops. It uses a projector for the low beam and responds well to a HID H3 bulb retrofit.

My plan is to keep my H4 Baja designs headlight with a halogen mainly for the low beam, and then add a HID. I'll set it up so the HID is the extra light for high beam usage. That will give me a good low beam and tons of light on high.

I see lots of questions about lighting, but I have only found two SoCal TT guys willing to go night riding. Does everyone just use the lights for the street?

I saw that and though it was a projector. but I thought projectors were just to aim HID's down so they don't blind people

if you are real trick, you will take apart a bmw headlight, pull out the bi-xenon hid, mount it in the stock lamd.

on low beam, it has a flap that cuts off top light. and when you turn on the high beam, they are incredible. I love driving bi-xenon cars at night, with mine had them. they are literally a huge spot light... for a car

DOT headlights have a cutoff on the low beam that keeps the light from going up. Any non low beam light will not have the cutoff.

Putting a HID in a reflector housing made for a halogen will also cause problems, but not as much as a racelight. The 650L headlight is of the reflector type and putting a HID in there will causwe a lot more glare to oncoming drivers.

Inn general you can use a HID in a projector light and get good low beam results. An example is the Acerbis Cyclops. It uses a projector for the low beam and responds well to a HID H3 bulb retrofit.

My plan is to keep my H4 Baja designs headlight with a halogen mainly for the low beam, and then add a HID. I'll set it up so the HID is the extra light for high beam usage. That will give me a good low beam and tons of light on high.

I see lots of questions about lighting, but I have only found two SoCal TT guys willing to go night riding. Does everyone just use the lights for the street?

i got the lights to help spot moose on nonlit gravel roads going to work. guess you could put some tape across the top if the low beam is still to high after adjustment. still have to make a longer blinker mount, or mount flushmounts on handguards.

003.jpg

006.jpg

Your bike looks great! That's how I want my 09 to be decked out.

Barry H

I'll second that Barry! Both bikes look awsome! I wonder if it would be possible to make some and use jeep headlights. In N.Y. it has to say DOT approved on the lens.

I'll second that Barry! Both bikes look awsome! I wonder if it would be possible to make some and use jeep headlights. In N.Y. it has to say DOT approved on the lens.

you can use car lights if you want. like PIAA or HELLA or KC. just make a mounting bracket, but you will have to have a wiring harness that plugs into the stators output.

check ebay for offroad fog lights, they are quite cheap.

you can use car lights if you want. like PIAA or HELLA or KC. just make a mounting bracket, but you will have to have a wiring harness that plugs into the stators output.

check ebay for offroad fog lights, they are quite cheap.

They don't say DOT, but I got my aux light from WalMart for $10 on clearance. The box said "fog light." My main Baja Designs H4 headlight does pretty good straight ahead and I wanted a small light that didn't focus too well. The little light that I got doesn't and that helps on the single track.

Well luckily I work in a factory and know tons of electricians and fabricaters that would love to work on such a project.

Well luckily I work in a factory and know tons of electricians and fabricaters that would love to work on such a project.

really... too bad your in Hillary's town. I need to do something about my weak as poo 35/35 KTM headlight. the only flaw on a otherwise seeming awesome bike(cept the twitchy(twa--ah-itchy) high speed stability problem I had. fixed it with bar position but used to bikes with high speed stability.

really... too bad your in Hillary's town. I need to do something about my weak as poo 35/35 KTM headlight. the only flaw on a otherwise seeming awesome bike(cept the twitchy(twa--ah-itchy) high speed stability problem I had. fixed it with bar position but used to bikes with high speed stability.

These guys have a bulb upgrade solution to your KTM headlight. http://www.pmxtec.com/

I'm mounting a Baja Designs 8" race light on my DRZ400S in hopes that I make myself more annoying/easier to see after being hit by one driver that didnt see me at night and almost being hit countless other times in the city. Since people apparently can't see me I need to make it easier for them.