Sign in to follow this  

Getting needle and slide out of 650R carb

I was in the process of rejetting and changing the needle on 650R. However, I couldn't figure out how to get one of the screws out to get the slide and needle out. The arm that the two screws are mounted to at the bottom of the slide is in the way of one of the screws and I can't get the screwdriver on it. Am I missing something simple here? I did this before a couple years ago on an R and can't remember this as being a problem.

see the Honda Shop Manual in the FAQ's sticky but...

the easiest way is removing the single screw on the carb throttle/spring/slide assembly and removing...just pay attention to how the spring tension is made for re-assembly and the whole slide can be easily removed...then both slide screws can be accessed.

:)

Thanks, I was thinking maybe thats what you did, but I wanted to make sure. I couldn't remember removing that screw before, but I must have. I tend to do things the hard way.:)

Be careful removing the single screw on the arm. Mine was so difficult, I ended up jacking the phillips slots in the head. It isn't a typical screw you can buy at Lowes. Howewver, a basic screw will work but is sloppy.

I've found that you need to use quality tools and always pay attention while working on the BRP or it will bite you. I used a crappy screw driver and nearly messed up the choke flap modification. After that I got my good tools and really paid attention any time I touched a screw in that carb. I don't remember the slide being an issue when using a small thin screw driver. Good luck!