Sign in to follow this  

Supercross What if #1 ranked rider declined sponsorship

Totally hypothetical situation, but what if a Ricky Carmichael, or James Stewart was independently wealthy and had no desire to be under sponsorship.

In theory, they could come to each race riding whatever bike brand they wanted. Even a two stroke and give his honest opinion on which bike he is faster on. He could even say I like the Suzuki better that the kawi, it has better handling. It would put the whole system in a tail spin, how dare he get up on the podium and give an honest opinion.

They could have a podium speech without all these thank you's to sponsors and actually give a race breakdown wearing a jersey with a picture of his kids. It would be interesting to see them knock the system while drinking some sams club bottled water, cause you know that's whats in those energy drink cans.

:)

• Like 2

interesting viewpoint....

i wonder if they could even come close to their current pay by racing for the top bidder every weekend......kinda like parting out a bike instead of selling it.......

would be tough to feel comfortable though jumping from brand to brand....

There bikes wouldnt come close to those who have factory ones, as a factory rider you're pretty much babied, all you have to do on race day is go out there and ride. If they came by themselves they would be looking at an extra 2 - 3 hours of work inbetween motos depending on track conditions. but then again you did say if they were independently wealthy, who knows what kind of hookups they could get ?

There bikes wouldnt come close to those who have factory ones, as a factory rider you're pretty much babied, all you have to do on race day is go out there and ride. If they came by themselves they would be looking at an extra 2 - 3 hours of work inbetween motos depending on track conditions. but then again you did say if they were independently wealthy, who knows what kind of hookups they could get ?

You're kinda of missing the gist. Imagine you had James Stewart talent, and your family is worth billion dollars... Play along OK. You race this sport because it presents a challenge in life. You have a mechanic, access to all professionals, full 18 wheel rig just like the factor riders. People getting every thing you need, expertise, best parts, trainers... the whole works. Hell you probably have more access than the factory boys, cause you can outspend them. You hire Mitch Peyton and his crew, cause Kawasaki can't or not willing to match your salary offer. Any and all resources are at your disposal.

You're kinda of missing the gist. Imagine you had James Stewart talent, and your family is worth billion dollars... Play along OK. You race this sport because it presents a challenge in life. You have a mechanic, access to all professionals, full 18 wheel rig just like the factor riders. People getting every thing you need, expertise, best parts, trainers... the whole works. Hell you probably have more access than the factory boys, cause you can outspend them. You hire Mitch Peyton and his crew, cause Kawasaki can't or not willing to match your salary offer. Any and all resources are at your disposal.

Your hypothetical is flawed and I will tell you why. No matter how much talent or money you have the Factory WILL NOT sell you certain parts. It gets worse when you say they could try different bikes every week. What factory would be motivated to help you knowing you might not only bash the bike but be on a different one next week?

To further prove my point. Michael Jordan, yes Jumpman 23 himself OWNS a Suzuki Factory supported AMA road race team. They compete in Superstock (stock-ish litre bike class) and Superbike. jordan asked Suzuki on multiple occasions to sell him some of the factory race parts for his Superbike team. They said "You can't afford them" He said, oh yes I can. They said "NO you can't". And he is a a Factory "supported" team.

Not as you are pointing out, but some riders have declined sponorships in certain areas.

RC is Factory Suzuki, but since he is with Monster, he will not run the Rockstar graphics. Also when he first came to Suzuki the 4 strokes used Yoshimura pipes and Dunlop tires. RC had it in his contract that he would only use Pro Circuit pipes and Bridgestone tires. They run that for the entire team now, but when RC first came onboard he used his sponsors while at the same time Tortelli, Hepler and Millsaps used Yosh and Dunlop.

I think with plenty of dough you can drop a bike off at Pro Circuit and get a bike that is 97% as capable as a factory bike. And RC and or JS would still win on that bike and could do just as the OPs says. Superbike is different, this sport leans more towards rider than the bike. So I am playing along and saying it would be cool to see something like that just once.

I would prefer a once a year real US open with 100% stock bikes and no factory support. But you know that JS and or RC would probably never enter that race.

Z

Your hypothetical is flawed and I will tell you why. No matter how much talent or money you have the Factory WILL NOT sell you certain parts. It gets worse when you say they could try different bikes every week. What factory would be motivated to help you knowing you might not only bash the bike but be on a different one next week?

What critical factory parts would keep James Stewart from winning that the average rich guy could not attain?

What critical factory parts would keep James Stewart from winning that the average rich guy could not attain?

That he couldn't have custom machined himself, seeing how he is so rich..

We are also talking about the top rider in the world, To be honest with you i think James stewart and ricky carmichael could burn the rest of the field on a privateer bike, if kody cooper can top 5 on a privateer bike, then james stewart or RC can easily win it, I mean at millville, he put a 1:12 between him (bubba) and second place, thats 72 seconds ! even with about 15 grand he can get good suspension, motor and some custom fabricating and testing, and he will be good to go. Its a touchy subject but enough money can buy anything. I mean hunter hewitts father owns motosport kawi and they make it to all of the nats and they clearly do not have a billion dollars. Then again, unless the bikes are stock you really cant point out pros or cons because even at the amateur level the bikes are modded to suit the rider, so basicly when you spend more than 10 - 15 grand on a bike, they will all feel the same.

You guys skipped right by my point. I do not doubt that an RC or JS could still win on a good quality privateer bike. The only point I was making was that YOU CANNOT buy factory parts just because you want them or can afford them. And it is extremely naive to think you could just make your own. If it was that simple there would be other companies out there producing the SAME parts that the factory has developed and selling it at a fraction to the masses. It just does not work that way.

What's so special about factory parts. I mean, what makes them perform so much better.

I am not an engineer personally so I cannot tell you in detail. I can give an example though. Take Showa suspension. They custom build valves and springs/spring rates that are specific to bikes and teams. You can buy Showa parts. You can even buy Showa modified parts. But they WILL NOT sell you the Honda HRC Race team parts. What makes a cyl head better? A shock? Shock linkage? I don't know exactly. It just is.

Factory parts are much more than a piece of metal or plastic, factory parts are years and years of testing and remodeling.

Totally hypothetical situation, but what if a Ricky Carmichael, or James Stewart was independently wealthy and had no desire to be under sponsorship.

In theory, they could come to each race riding whatever bike brand they wanted. Even a two stroke and give his honest opinion on which bike he is faster on. He could even say I like the Suzuki better that the kawi, it has better handling. It would put the whole system in a tail spin, how dare he get up on the podium and give an honest opinion.

They could have a podium speech without all these thank you's to sponsors and actually give a race breakdown wearing a jersey with a picture of his kids. It would be interesting to see them knock the system while drinking some sams club bottled water, cause you know that's whats in those energy drink cans.

:)

nice idea jack,

i guess it would throw the system into a mess, given that the whole point of a professional racing programme is to shift product to the masses. if rc turned up on an old practice bike with no stickers and stock pipe, with different tyre brands on and 2 year old gear, and still won it would make the industry look foolish, because it would shine a light on the fact that the wew dont need all the foof that goes along with riding bikes. like lance said,"its not about the bike". i guess the industry would move to persuade rc or any other winner on bikes like mine to modify his behaviour for the sake of the industry. (not the sport however)

Factory parts are much more than a piece of metal or plastic, factory parts are years and years of testing and remodeling.

Can you name a few of these parts? I'm genuinely curious to know what they are?

Chad Reed & Jason Lawrence are not factory riders, they ride for Troy and San Manuel.

These are the factory guys for Yamaha

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/racing/sx_mx_team.aspx

They custom build valves and springs/spring rates that are specific to bikes and teams. You can buy Showa parts. You can even buy Showa modified parts. But they WILL NOT sell you the Honda HRC Race team parts. What makes a cyl head better? A shock? Shock linkage? I don't know exactly. It just is.

So Showa would not build these special parts for a privateer, and ALL other suspension companies have the same policy. What suspension is Cody Cooper running, somebody forgot to tell him he was not supposed to get any podiums this year.

What's so special about factory parts. I mean, what makes them perform so much better.

There's not, it's a myth... Everybody on this thread cannot list ONE single factory advantage. But they are convinced that some sort of secret parts exist not available to any privateer at any cost.

I say BS... Name the special parts and shut me up!

There's not, it's a myth... Everybody on this thread cannot list ONE single factory advantage. But they are convinced that some sort of secret parts exist not available to any privateer at any cost.

I say BS... Name the special parts and shut me up!

Nobody said there ware any secret parts

Some of the special parts I know of is factory honda has magnesium carbs, most of the stuff is just extremely modified parts. There pipes are built to perfection, there are high end components in the suspension that isnt available to the public such as the larger showa forks that factory honda runs, they have cut and chopped parts all over the place to suit the rider better, there engine work is all to perfection. Theres only so much that the naked eye can see. Factory rides also mean alot more stress is off the rider, they can be out on there practice bikes at home practicing while privateers like K.cunningham 58 are driving to the races and prepping there bikes. Factory support also means the riders dont have to give two shits about there bikes or gear, they have there own mechanic and unlimited parts if anything gos wrong.oh gosh the list could go on forevor titanium nuts and bolts, engine bolts, carbon fiber parts, high end air craft material on certain places. Factory honda has been running top line stabalizers on there bikes since mcgrath was riding for them and only in 08 did they release them on there bikes. What else could they be hiding ?