Sign in to follow this  

1983 IT 250 afew Q`s

Hey gang, my buddy just bought himself an 83 IT 250.

weve got afew Q`s

1) What ratio of gas/pre-mix do we run in this thing?

2) can we run Full synthietc pre-mix in this rig? ( ive got 3.5 litres sitting here ill never use)

3) how much oil deos the tranny take & how do you check it?

4) anything we should be aware of on this bike?

thanks for reading and if you can help with anyting it would be much appreciated.

32-1 will work and the oil you have will be fine, the tranny prolly holds around 6/10s of a quart. Does it have a oil level screw on the clutch cover. sometimes they have how many cc's of oil they hold stamped down around there.

32-1 should be good. That is what we ran back in the day. Mind you oils are a lot better now and you could probably run any modern oil at its recommended ratio and it would be fine.

You may have to change the jetting though for a leaner mix, as the bikes came jetted for standard oils of the the time at 20-1. They ran rich as stock though so 32-1 seemed to lean them out right to where they should be.

With the much higher quality of today's oil 32 or 40 to 1 will be fine. The syn oil that you have should be fine.

Oil displaces gas so more oil makes for a leaner fuel to air ratio. Less oil means more gas so that makes the mixture richer.

With a bike that age, it's always good to check the usual two-stroke stuff: top-end, crank seals, dump any old spooge out of the pipe, repack the silencer. The drum brakes were a little sketchy on some of the IT's. Some worked OK, others just downright scary. The '83's were (I think) the first year of the linkage monoshock suspension. Check all the pivots there too.

so uhh i went into the garage last night and gas was leaking out the float drain... is this bad? it didnt before when the tank was very empty

so uhh i went into the garage last night and gas was leaking out the float drain... is this bad? it didnt before when the tank was very empty

Float needle's bad in the carb. No biggie, just order up a new one and pop it in.👍

You may get away with just pulling the carb and giving it a good cleaning [make sure you remove the needle and clean it and the seat] but as Helmet Hair said, you're probably going to have to replace it.