Sign in to follow this  

Dies When you give it gas (1887 z50r)

i have a 1987 honda z50r and it starts first kick but stalls when you guve it gas.....any ideas what the problem is?

Pull the carb and give it a thorough cleaning, make sure you can clearly see through the jets when you are done.

i have already done this multiple times it is the cleanest cab i have ever seen also replaced the sparkplug 2 times i think it may be the timing

Is it like a bogging, spitting noise than it died? My old '87 Z did that, and I never figured out why..

You could try messing with the clip setting inside the carb slide. What's your sparkplug look like when you pull it?

well the good news is, these are simple bikes. Especially the ones from the 1800s.

How about the air filter?

Is it like a bogging, spitting noise than it died? My old '87 Z did that, and I never figured out why..

I think that spitting sound is a exhaust leak. Either that or a compression loss from the cylinder head with a worn gasket.

oh yeah..one more thing. Might be a silly thing to forget but do you let it warm up(5-10 min idling) and then take it if off the choke? These engines are kinda finicky when they're still cold.

If I remember correctly, 1987 was the last year of the point ignition. Maybe check to see if the points have closed up. Gap should be .012~.016