Sign in to follow this  

Gold medal!

I competed in my second race on Sunday at the 2008 Police and Fire Games. It was my first Euro-style Hare Scramble.

It turned out to be pretty fun but it was tougher than I was expecting. I think a 4-stroke was a better bike for the type of course but my 250 smoker did pretty good. Definitely a 4-stroke course though!

The spectators could only see about 1/8th of the course so those are the only pictures I have. It was an 8 mile loop and I got in 3 laps.

It was deep horrible sand almost all the way. Lots of hill climbs, lots of dust and about 90 degrees. Some seriously butt-puckering down hills.

I only got lapped by three guys, which I didn't think was too bad out of a class of 15. Not sure what my final standing was but I know I beat a few guys (like 2 or 3). :worthy:

I didn't have any trouble on the sand hill climbs and only biffed it once in the tire/railroad ties/logs section because of stupidity. I was amazed how many people ate it in that section. It was fun to watch the other two races after mine in this section. Lots of great crashes! I did eat sand a few times in sections no one could see (thankfully). If no one saw it, it didn't happen, right? :)

Coming out of the tunnel and onto the first set of tires.

DSCN0884.jpg

During the parade lap.

DSCN0868.jpg

I had no idea someone pushed me up until I saw this pic. :ride: I thought I was just really good! ROFL :D

DSCN0885.jpg

Here is the start. I almost got the hole shot but don't have a pic of that yet. I was in 2nd place at the top of the hill...very briefly. I stopped and let most of the pack by me so I wouldn't have to eat their dust all day. The pack spread out pretty quickly so it was like I was riding by myself most of the day. I stopped to let 3 fast guys lap me and they all seemed pretty thankful they didn't have to try and pass me in all that sand. It was hard to hold your line.

DSCN0871.jpg

Sand, sand, sand.

DSCN0880.jpg

There was a pile of saw dust followed by a pile of wood chips at the finish line. Never crashed here but a whole lot of other people did. :banghead:

DSCN0883.jpg

A lot of off-camber side hill stuff. You can see the sluffed off area where some guys slide down on their sides. :banghead:

DSCN0882.jpg

Ta da! Gold medal (since I was the only woman who raced in any of the classes). :banghead: Oh well, at least I finished!

ClayPeakHareScramble002.jpg

• Like 1

That looks fun as hell. Nice job girl.

I unfortunately have the same problem. I race desert here in san diego, CA and if there are any women racing its only like 2 others.

Lame!!

It's still an accomplishment to get that medal/ trophy though.

They still made me do 3 laps so I felt like it was an accomplishment to be able to make it. It would have been lame to do one lap and call it good. I was very happy I didn't DNF!

I can't believe how sore I am today after all the working out I've been doing. Our beloved Ms. Tresa recently gave me a great new routine though so I can't wait to see if that helps.

Tresa is as fit as they get!

Congraduations on your awesome finish and your gold! Great pics - looked like a challenging course. I had to miss the local Firefighter olympics (I was signed, payed up etc) and had to go on a 2 week strike team thus missing the whole thing. Next year for me!!

Congrats! That place looks familiar, is that where they have the WORCS races? I raced one there in the fall of 04. It was VERY tough--the sand whoops wore me out!

Good Job!!

Now, are you a cop or did you make the good choice and became a firefighter? (jk)

That's what I was gonna ask...

That looks like fun!

And tough as hell.

Glad you had fun and now you have a shiny medal to commemorate the experience.

Way to go t-girl!👍:worthy::busted::blah:

SWEET! That is one tough-looking course. You training for Last (wo)Man Standing? :busted:👍:worthy:

Thanks a bunch ladies! It's cool to know there are so many killer dirt bikin' chicks out there. I know quite a few of you race too.

I don't know that I'll be up for racing a series or anything. My nerves get the best of me so I didn't sleep for a week before the race, and I even KNEW I didn't have any competition in the women's class. :busted: Pathetic I tell ya.

To answer some of the questions, yes, that's Clay Peak in Payette Idaho where they hold a lot of the WORCS races. It's a pretty big place so they can make a large variety of tracks.

I work for the police so I work for a living instead of waiting around for something to catch on fire. 👍I'M KIDDING, I'M KIDDING! No bad gas! :worthy:

Here are some pics my brother took.

The "endurocross" section doesn't look like much if you're a trail rider. It was pretty easy.

12.jpg

7.jpg

10.jpg

My cheering squad (my nephew).

1.jpg

Hi TG--glad to see the pic of the enduro-cross section, I like ideas of that for home. So do you ride trail mostly? when I rode at Eddiville on the track it was so wide open and flat, it was weird/disorienting(no trees! no rock pits!)--but fun after I got myself to quit reading the ground so much/picking a line and I can just go faster without being ready to stop on a dime all the time(well not quite, but you know how there;s a lot more stuff to run into on the trail...). Hopefully I can get in a couple practice weekends at Eddieville/Starvation Ridge this winter, riding the track that weekend in June really helped me up my speed overall--sounds weird, but just getting used to going faster(the feeling of it, the speed of how you see) helps you speed up on the trail--okay, that didn't come out the way I wanted it to sound, it sounds so obvious...I'll try again, going faster on an easy surface gave me confidence to go faster on the trail/tricky stuff.

I loved when people would jump down the hill next to me 👍 I'll never be a big jumper(I can manage little stuff), but I just love this sport!!!! And guys have been so nice to me as a beginner too.

omg that looks tough ... wtg!

and congrats on the gold!!

>:-)

I just saw the pictures the photographer took. Some pretty good ones! I'm kind of bummed he didn't get any pics of me on the jumps. I had to have had a good 2 or 3 inches of air. 👍

expmanCACNU7AZ.jpg

expmanCASS067L.jpg

My brother took this one. :busted: It was cool having a cheering squad. Even the half-naked Red Bull Girls were cheering me on up on the course. :worthy:

17.jpg

I competed in my second race on Sunday at the 2008 Police and Fire Games. It was my first Euro-style Hare Scramble.

It turned out to be pretty fun but it was tougher than I was expecting. I think a 4-stroke was a better bike for the type of course but my 250 smoker did pretty good. Definitely a 4-stroke course though!

The spectators could only see about 1/8th of the course so those are the only pictures I have. It was an 8 mile loop and I got in 3 laps.

It was deep horrible sand almost all the way. Lots of hill climbs, lots of dust and about 90 degrees. Some seriously butt-puckering down hills.

I only got lapped by three guys, which I didn't think was too bad out of a class of 15. Not sure what my final standing was but I know I beat a few guys (like 2 or 3). :blah:

I didn't have any trouble on the sand hill climbs and only biffed it once in the tire/railroad ties/logs section because of stupidity. I was amazed how many people ate it in that section. It was fun to watch the other two races after mine in this section. Lots of great crashes! I did eat sand a few times in sections no one could see (thankfully). If no one saw it, it didn't happen, right? :worthy:

Coming out of the tunnel and onto the first set of tires.

DSCN0884.jpg

During the parade lap.

DSCN0868.jpg

I had no idea someone pushed me up until I saw this pic. :D I thought I was just really good! ROFL :busted:

DSCN0885.jpg

Here is the start. I almost got the hole shot but don't have a pic of that yet. I was in 2nd place at the top of the hill...very briefly. I stopped and let most of the pack by me so I wouldn't have to eat their dust all day. The pack spread out pretty quickly so it was like I was riding by myself most of the day. I stopped to let 3 fast guys lap me and they all seemed pretty thankful they didn't have to try and pass me in all that sand. It was hard to hold your line.

DSCN0871.jpg

Sand, sand, sand.

DSCN0880.jpg

There was a pile of saw dust followed by a pile of wood chips at the finish line. Never crashed here but a whole lot of other people did. :doh:

DSCN0883.jpg

A lot of off-camber side hill stuff. You can see the sluffed off area where some guys slide down on their sides. :p

DSCN0882.jpg

Ta da! Gold medal (since I was the only woman who raced in any of the classes). 🤣 Oh well, at least I finished!

ClayPeakHareScramble002.jpg

I sooooo remember that course from last year!!! The downhills were pretty crazy ... the off camber turns were nuts too, lol. Did the wood chip pile have any surprises? I remember coming over a rise and there was a HUGE hole you almost would fall in to.

You guys got to ride over the logs though!!! They didn't have that set up for us SIDRA people. I remember being terrified of that section early early this year cuz I didn't have a whole lotta practice. The tires are so much fun. Looks like they let you guys go through the big ones.

I'm pretty sue that's Carl from SuperCross City givin' ya push. He's a BIG supporter of Hot Pipes ... even donated some gear for me.🤣 We didn't get to ride up and over that section either ... we just came out of the tunnel and rode over the tires and head out to the right.

Way to go Rach!!!! I can see a future SIDRA racer in ya!!🤣👍