Sign in to follow this  

White Bros R4 is too loud, What options do I have?

Hi All,

Thanks to all the information on this forum I decided that the reliability and durability of the XR was right for me. I purchased a super clean low hrs XR400 that the previous owner plated. The P.O. did the Gordon's mods, installed a White Bros R4 Exhaust, and re-jetted it to match.

I love the bike, but it is REALLY LOUD! I'm pissing people off with the noise. I'm reluctant to change anything because it starts every time, and runs so well, but I've got to quiet it down. I'm doing a multi day dual sport / trail ride in a few weeks and my fellow riders want it quieter!

What are my options? And will I need to re-jet with any change I make? I like that the R4 took some weight off the bike. Can I mod the R4 to make it quiet, or am I better off with something else?

Is the XR's Only quiet core insert an option? Does it make much of a difference?

Are there other mods I could do to / with the R4?

I have the stock exhaust. Will this kill the awesome low end I'm experiencing now? If I put this on do I need to re-jet?

Not sure I have the cash now, but is there a particular aftermarket exhaust that is a really good balance of noise and power with the Gordon's mods?

Thanks!

Did the PO Gordon mod the stock exhaust you have? If not, try that and re-install the stock can, see what you think. Noise will be much less and I bet there won't be much difference in power. Won't know til you try it.

Did the PO Gordon mod the stock exhaust you have? If not, try that and re-install the stock can, see what you think. Noise will be much less and I bet there won't be much difference in power. Won't know til you try it.

The original muffler is bone stock. I will put it on, but I'm sure I need to re-jet for it. I'm trying to find the jetting requirements for an XR400 with the Gordon's airbox mods, exhaust weld ground down, and bone stock muffler. I'm finding it for the above with the Gordon modded (drilled) muffler. Can you point me in the right direction?

Well, from my perspective, the only option you have is to let me take that pipe off your hands.👍

If I end up going with a different muffler the R4 will go up for sale :worthy:

gordon mod the stock pipe and rejet or like Motosprtman says FMF. i have the FMF Q2 on my bike and it works great, especially in a place where the cops are sensitive to sound. i will say it was a bit too quiet for me so i removed the spark arrestor, sounds better.