Sign in to follow this  

First Oil Change - 2008

I'm fixin to do the first oil change on my sons new bike. I've got a couple of questions.

1) The manual says to check the oil strainers? These are completely new to me. Do I just blow them out with carb cleaner? Is there a washer/gasket that I'll surely have to replace? It says there are two of them, does one get dirtier than the other?

2) Can I use Rotella 15W-40 (same oil I use in both sides of my CRF450) or is there another oil that is better.

Unrelated to the oil change, does this chain ever stop stretching? Been 4 motos now and each time it has really stretched.

You can only service one of the two oil strainers unless you split the cases. The one between the two oil drain bolts is the one to do regularly. No changing of gaskets,washers, or o-rings necessary so just reuse what comes off for each change. Don't over tighten anything as the threads are aluminum. Nothing seems to ever loosen up for any of the three drain points. Spray the stainless steel strainer with some carb,contact or brake cleaner, wipe it dry and put it back in. For oil just use the correct weight and change it at least every 2 hours for longer engine life. I buy the expensive stuff and I have friends that use just plain old 10W-40 automotive oil and they have just as many hours on their engines without failure or premature wear. The secret is to change it often.