Sign in to follow this  

Showa shock parts?

I don't know WHAT I was thinking...the whole reason I started tearing into my XR4 was because the shock spontaneously exploded all over the floor. Well, a Sunday afternoon with nothing better to do later:

2773906521_4a2322b00b.jpg

Theres not nearly as much stuff in there as I expected. Actually - pulling it down was no harder than a fork, with the exception of taking off the spring, which easily took twice as long as all the rest. That, and the one time when I thought it was empty and pulled the shock shaft out (should suck in, right?), and I got shot in the side with a 100PSI stream of brake cleaner and oil that blew out of the compression adjuster hole (damn, that was COLD).

I would be remiss if I didn't throw a bit of a dig into GP Suspension (NY). I used them to do a rebuild a few years back, which leaked the first time - though I sent it right back and they fixed it for me, so they were inside my shock twice. I've recommended them many times, but after seeing the inside of my shock, I've got to change my tune. There are tool marks in several locations of the shock body around every cap and snap-ring. Even used a screwdriver to pry off the end cap instead of punching it out using the little holes - and I can tell exactly what size screwdriver he used. Bogus - I have a lot of de-burring to do before I put it back together. Also, check out the bitty shaft seal. Unless they can get mis-seated like this during use, it was installed this way:

2774758140_6c30532e94.jpg

The big O-ring around the seal head was missing a few chunks too - it doesn't move during use, so it was caused during install. I don't know exactly where the oil-loss failure was, but there's little wonder the shock puked it's guts out.

Anybody know a good place to get Showa parts (seals, O-rings, bladder)? I don't have a clue of where to look.

JayC

PS - The urge to re-valve it is overwhelming.

PS - The urge to re-valve it is overwhelming.

I redid mine with recommendations from someone on the suspension forum and the results were spectacular. You don't even need to buy any shims, just shuffle the existing ones around. I tried a quick search and couldn't find it again, but if you pm me with your email I'll send you the valving chart.

And the proper spring is the most important part. I think stock is good for someone around 185lbs.

Look parts up on motosport.com (select OEM Parts) and order parts from Motosport or Service Honda.

Sample screen: XR400R&year=2000

You should have known 👍

Yea - ordering Honda parts from Honda...who woulda thunk it. I did end up getting OEM parts.

And, as an added plug for our hosts - TT beats both of the above on OEM parts pricing.

JayC

And, as an added plug for our hosts - TT beats both of the above on OEM parts pricing.

JayC

They have always done thier best to beat any bodys pricing, stock parts or aftermarket parts. I've never been disappointed using the TT Store 👍