Sign in to follow this  

Costly Rookie Mistake?

I did my forks, seals and springs. KYB on and 08 KX450. I thought I did everything right. Somehow (it won't ever happen again), I did not torque or properly torque the jam nut on the rebound and they came apart. Anyway, I caught it quickly and got off the track. The threads were a little damaged on both the rebound adjuster and the dampening rod. I was able to clean them up fine. The push rods were also a little damaged, flattened on the end a little. I also cleaned/smoothed those with emery cloth.

Here are my questions. It seems okay, I guess (I'm paranoid now), but I know the length of the push rods had to be altered, even if only slightly. Should I replace? Should I take them to a machinist to make sure they are both the same length? That brings me to my last question. The parts fiche shows them at $220 retail. That seems crazy to me for a short, hollow piece of aluminum. The whole dampening rod is only $350 and the fork only $1100. Am I missing something or are they really that much?

Thanks in advance.

main question would be: Are the rods bent or still straight.

If straight it depends on how much shorter they are.

If just a little, i wouldn't care, if it's too much (how much is too much?) it might cause a problem.

At least you have to extend the threads on the rod to get the adjuster seated properly.

And you will loose travel of your fork and have more preload on the spring.

Just make sure the rods have the same length!

I can hardly imagine the rod is shorter than before. if it is, you have to make/get some spacers, but like frezno said, if they are bent you have to spend some money :)