Sign in to follow this  

Ride report: Foggy Dew, 08-14-2008

My friend Rob Lutz and I met up at Foggy Dew (Eastern Washington) for a camping and riding trip this last weekend. Good times! It was really hot, but we rode much of the trails seeing Cooney Lake, Horsehead Pass, Boiling Lake, Cub Lake, Deadman pass, etc. Did about 90 miles between a couple days of riding. As usual, I concluded that I need to get in better shape :)

Here's a pile of photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60238607@N00/sets/72157606796178378/

• Like 1

Man I wana ride there some day!

Thanks for the pics. Looks like a great time.

My friend Rob Lutz and I met up at Foggy Dew (Eastern Washington) for a camping and riding trip this last weekend. Good times! It was really hot, but we rode much of the trails seeing Cooney Lake, Horsehead Pass, Boiling Lake, Cub Lake, Deadman pass, etc. Did about 90 miles between a couple days of riding. As usual, I concluded that I need to get in better shape :)

Here's a pile of photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60238607@N00/sets/72157606796178378/

I got to make it up there this year...

Man, I always avoided the area cause for some reason I thought it was dead man drop offs like teanaway. Lookes ridable to me....?

Man, I always avoided the area cause for some reason I thought it was dead man drop offs like teanaway. Lookes ridable to me....?

Well, there's a couple of minor pucker sections, but no 'dead man drop offs'.

Ridable is a relative term. I guess it all depends on what you consider a 'hard' ride. There's some good challenging riding up there. Lots of rocks, lots of fun!

The main thing to keep in mind while riding up there is that you're more likely to run into other types of users up there than many other places in WA. Every year I come across multiple groups of hikers, and multiple groups of pack animals. All the hikers we came across up there last weekend were very friendly, some of which we spoke to at length. In order for the hikers or horse folks to access any of the non motorized trails, they all have to start on the motorized trails, especially on the Foggy Dew side of the ridge.

Rob

Well, there's a couple of minor pucker sections, but no 'dead man drop offs'.

Ridable is a relative term. I guess it all depends on what you consider a 'hard' ride. There's some good challenging riding up there. Lots of rocks, lots of fun!

The main thing to keep in mind while riding up there is that you're more likely to run into other types of users up there than many other places in WA. Every year I come across multiple groups of hikers, and multiple groups of pack animals. All the hikers we came across up there last weekend were very friendly, some of which we spoke to at length. In order for the hikers or horse folks to access any of the non motorized trails, they all have to start on the motorized trails, especially on the Foggy Dew side of the ridge.

Rob

cool, then I would be fine(I am one if thise sickos that actually like the green dots in Ellensburge....nothingand I mean nothings more rocky than that....plus I just put a trials tire on my 525). I am just deathly afraid of riding cliffs as I rode right over one when I was 12. Mental block...so whats up with all the tents at the lake....dirt bikers or hikers? Oh and awesome picts btw

cool, then I would be fine(I am one if thise sickos that actually like the green dots in Ellensburge....nothingand I mean nothings more rocky than that....plus I just put a trials tire on my 525). I am just deathly afraid of riding cliffs as I rode right over one when I was 12. Mental block...so whats up with all the tents at the lake....dirt bikers or hikers? Oh and awesome picts btw

The tents all belonged to a group of hikers from Oregon who hired an outfitter to pack them in two weeks earlier. They were camping at Boiling Lake and day hiking from there. They were actually very nice people, I wound up talking to most of them. The only unfriendlies we ran into up there were a couple of Lama packers at Cooney Lake.

I like the picture looking down over the Deadmans Pass switchbacks. This trail system is one of my favorite places to ride.

TONY

I like the picture looking down over the Deadmans Pass switchbacks. This trail system is one of my favorite places to ride.

TONY

Is this the one you're talking about? One of the few pictures that really gives you a perspective on how steep that pass is 👍

2773550960_2f129c9452_b.jpg

TONY

Before you climb it, the view looking up at it looks relatively forbidding also...

354418928_3iqdZ-L.jpg

Before you climb it, the view looking up at it looks relatively forbidding also...

Yeah, that's a good shot! Looks unclimbable from afar 👍

funny thing is, there are probably harder switchback filled trails then that (in GP for example) but it looks so incredibly intimidating because it's exposed, rather then deep in the woods like most of that type of trail around here

thanks for sharing the photos

oh.. and for something truly amazing, check out this ride report with Helge Pederson riding a big ol fat BMW F650 up horsehead pass (bottom of the page)

http://www.cycoactive.com/horsethief/day3.html

^^^^ Holy wow that's a big bike for switchback's. That looks like fun on the CR but work on a 450lb BMW... Foggy Dew looks like an amazing place to ride! I'm guessing it's one of the top spots in the NW for sure. I'll have to put this palce on the list after I check off the Gifford Pinchot in two weeks.

Great pics. Looks like an amazing trip. Nice to see the KDX showing off it's verstility. How'd the green machine do?

Great pics. Looks like an amazing trip. Nice to see the KDX showing off it's verstility. How'd the green machine do?

The old KDX works extremely well in that kind of stuff. Although, it took some doing to figure out how to set it up. It still overheats occasionally on difficult climbs so I'm going to need to sort that out, but that's really the only remaining annoyance. I so rarely ever have to perform any sort of maintanence on it anymore, I'll probably discover the cooling system is half full. Maybe I should stop reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Negligence.

Gavin,

Great ride report. I was in Twisp the 18th but it was so hot and dusty I just took my Sea Doo out to lake Pearrygin. I was on my own and figured I didn't want to run into trouble riding Foggy Dew by myself. I am bummed I couldn't try that TE300 with EFI under those conditions. I managed to snap a few pics of Pend Orielle on Wednesday but it was so wet I just cut the day short.

A group ride up there would be really fun.

Greg

P.S. Which paper maps do you use in your bar mounted map holder? I have tried Green Trails but the scale is quite detailed enough.