Sign in to follow this  

Lizard Lady vs LB Baja Maps

For all you gps guys which one do you recommend. i am by far no means a newbie when it comes to baja so this will only be an aid. im looking for pros and cons of each. i will be using it on a garmin gps.

Thanks

I don't GPS much of anything unless I have to, but doesn't Lizard Lady offer the actual tracks as opposed to LB, which offers the maps? I would think the Lizard Lady tracks would be pretty accurate as having been an actual cookie trail.

Hey Aaron...

If your simply using either as a "guide"...

- then LBMaps is much more affordable.

(even though affordable, take it with a grain of salt. It's put my behind locked up fences (not gates) and collapsed trails)

- If your trying to duplicate LL's routes.... then you'll need to pony up for Fugawi, her guidebook (1 or 2 depending), AND the CD of routes.

(she doesn't specify it being bread crumb trail "tracks"... but "routes" - which are ultimately waypoints)

I have her guidebook vol.1 and it's pretty cool. But if your not a newbie, it's not "needed". Even though it can show you some pretty cool trails.... but, also would require a roll-chart to follow accurately.

:)

You could just ask Tim and he will point you with his finger in what direction to go.

Why maps,,,after all the roads should lead to some place??

The spirit of adventure, extra gas and agua is all that you need.

Hey Aaron...

If your simply using either as a "guide"...

- then LBMaps is much more affordable.

(even though affordable, take it with a grain of salt. It's put my behind locked up fences (not gates) and collapsed trails)

- If your trying to duplicate LL's routes.... then you'll need to pony up for Fugawi, her guidebook (1 or 2 depending), AND the CD of routes.

(she doesn't specify it being bread crumb trail "tracks"... but "routes" - which are ultimately waypoints)

I have her guidebook vol.1 and it's pretty cool. But if your not a newbie, it's not "needed". Even though it can show you some pretty cool trails.... but, also would require a roll-chart to follow accurately.

:)

Johnny

i just talked to the LL and she wasnt 100% clear until i asked about it being way points vs tracks. i also dont like the fact that im forced to buy the software as well. i know its not needed but it would be nice to have so i know where i can and cant go. my concern for this has also increased after reading the thread at the top of the baja thread right now. i would hate to be the guy who ruined it for everyone trying to get through the area on a single track or back road that i shouldnt be one. i would also like to mix things up and find new and more challenging riding areas....so maybe her package deal is worth it:excuseme:

...... i would hate to be the guy who ruined it for everyone trying to get through the area on a single track or back road that i shouldnt be one. i would also like to mix things up and find new and more challenging riding areas....so maybe her package deal is worth it:excuseme:

I hear ya there. Nobody wants to be "that guy".

Just stay on roads, and two-track trails... stay out of the single track (if you don't know where, who, or what about the trail) and you'll be all good.

Or, spend the cash and see if she takes you where you want to go. :)

Or, ride all the basic boring roads to the same old boring places... day in, day out. :D

Or, ride with a guide who'll take you places you've never been. Paying them, and letting them do all the work. There's several out there.

Or, ride at your own risk, you know the drill. Baja is an adventure!!

... let us know whichever you decide, I'm curious to the extent of what LL gives you for that kind of loot (if you decide to go down that road). The guidebook(s) are well written, and took loads of time, money, and energy. I'm sure the routes are a mimick of them, but I could be wrong.

I don't know, for $242 (guide, cd, software) it's pretty steep. Would have been a lot nicer with a site where you could just download a gpx file or something. Plugging in your own coordinates is not the worst thing in the world either. It takes time though so it comes down to how highly you value your time. It still seems as though you're best off using her route sheets in addition to everything else so you could probably skimp on plugging in many of the waypoints. I'm with the Superdog on this one, knowing where you are going down to each and every turn kind of takes the thrill out of it. I'd prefer to have fewer waypoints and get a little off track rather than stare at a screen all day.

I don't know, for $242 (guide, cd, software) it's pretty steep. Would have been a lot nicer with a site where you could just download a gpx file or something. Plugging in your own coordinates is not the worst thing in the world either. It takes time though so it comes down to how highly you value your time. It still seems as though you're best off using her route sheets in addition to everything else so you could probably skimp on plugging in many of the waypoints. I'm with the Superdog on this one, knowing where you are going down to each and every turn kind of takes the thrill out of it. I'd prefer to have fewer waypoints and get a little off track rather than stare at a screen all day.

we shall so the lizard lady works out....i took the plunge

my hopes are set high so we will see how she does as i have a decent collection as it is

my hopes are set high so we will see how she does as i have a decent collection as it is

We used some of her stuff about three years ago off the first volume and some of it was great and some was a little hard to connect the dots but I guess that made it kind of fun:ride: I don't know how accurate the first volume would be now since it has been so long and things change down there.

I met up with and rode with a guy in san Felipe years ago. He had volume 1 and was disappointed. A friend recently showed me volume two but I got nothing new from it. Do you know if the LL puts something back into Baja?

Sometimes I will be riding some of the best singletrack, and I see other riders go by on the main road oblivious to what they are missing. The experience can be very different on nearly an identical route.

A sober and fun tour group like Bajaboundmoto.com will keep it safe and on the best stuff Baja has to offer. Otherwise you risk closed gates, barbed wire, auto accidents, cops, etc.

Let us know how it works out!!!

As I see it, she used Fugawi on her own laptop (or other, but converted somewhere down the road) as she mapped out the routes. So, instead of using any other program... like Mapsource (almost freeware) and a Garmin product, she stayed neutral with using 3rd party mapping software. Saves her from copyright issues... but makes the consumer buy Fugawi if they want, what she has. When, truly... using Mapsource... and saving as a common base file type of .gpx would have covered her. And since GPX is used most common with Garmin and even now Google Earth, it would have been easily (maybe too easily) shared and possibly duplicated. I'm sure there's a reason for how it was done in the end, but simply a bummer you have to spend all those $$ when most of it has been traversed before, and knowingly with a GPS saving track points.

Sharing is caring. 👍