Sign in to follow this  

Tire changing lube on the trail

I'm getting ready for my first +75 mile dual sport ride (90% trails) and I'm trying to lighten up my on-board tool bags. It's amazing how the ounces add up. I think my fender bag must weigh 5 pounds. It has a spare tube (non-heavy duty), dual mode pump, 3 CO2 (these things are relatively heavy) , 3 small tire irons, and a hand full of tire changing accessories. What do folks carry for tire changing lube? I'm thinking a small bar of soap. I always have water to mix with it and it doubles as an emergency gas tank sealer. Any suggestions for maximum utility and weight reduction?

I carry a small bottle (can) of WD-40 in my tool tube. It has so many other uses as well. You can find the little personal sized cans at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc...

The video I watched on youtube to learn to change my tire suggested windex window cleaner. The reason he said to use windex is since it is alchol based it dry's really fast, and won't leave anything on the tire. He said if you use anything else to allow it a full day to dry (dishsoap, etc.) I would imagine WD-40 would be good to. I use windex when I change my tires and it works good.

I never lube my tires with anything. I find on the trail when you get a flat the tire almost falls off the rim because of the heat.

If you hold the tire in the drop center of the rim, it will come right off with a tiny aluminum tire iron. If you don't you'll bend the tire iron or break the bead.

Just hold the tire in the drop center.

I use Windex for garage changes but I was looking for actual experiences on the trail. How do you carry it on the trail? I'd be worried that the container might break or leak, Windex dries up pretty easily and you need a fair amount of it. Dish soap sounds pretty good, I could pack the Ultra and then thin it with water when I go to use it.

For me, some brand of slime is a must-install into the tubes to reduce flat incidence....

...especially where your riding is so much more trail-type.

Prolly could use the slime from a trashed tube to mount replacement if needed (I've never had to, maybe I don't ride hard enuf....).

I carry a hotel sized shampoo bottle filled with dishwashing soap.

Same here. I too add water to thin it out. On a hot rim and/or tire, it will dry up fast, but just add more water to it.

Plain water is an excellent lube for rubber. We all carry drinking water , don't we?

I carry a hotel sized shampoo bottle filled with dishwashing soap.
Small bottle as well.

Any suggestions for maximum utility and weight reduction?

Get rid of the CO2 ....... forget the lube and carry patches along with a front tube.

I carry 2 irons, both 9" long and I'll use the axle wrench to hold the bead down.

What are your friends going to carry?

Motion Pro makes aluminum tire irons(thats wierd to say) which have the axle wrench on the other end. Mine weigh next to nothing and leave the wrenches at home.

No lube. I agree about those motion pro irons, although I dont own them yet. I just carry a good bicycle pump, irons, tube and patch kit, along w my other tools.

No lube. I agree about those motion pro irons, although I dont own them yet. I just carry a good bicycle pump, irons, tube and patch kit, along w my other tools.

This is pretty much what I carry. I have a 8 inch Cresent wrench for the axle nut and a single Motion pro tire iron made from a 1/8in cold rolled steel. I use the iron to lever the tire and the Cresent does double duty with the blunt end to hold the tire after using the tire iron. That way I only carry a single tire iron.

I also carry a wimpy Cheng Shin tube. It's thin and light. Maybe not the best tube, but since it goes for a couple of years before it gets used it's important not to have a heavy one.

My final tool wrap is a small piece of thin carpet. I put the wheel axle down on that so dirt doesn't get in the bearings.

It usually only takes ten minutes to change out a tube.

Changed two front tires last night in 40 minutes, managed to put only one scratch on my KTM's black rim:cry: . I think I will ditch the CO2. I cut the fill tube off a can of seal-a-flat. I will use that to do the initial tire inflation by mouth instead of 65 pumps on the little air pump. Valve snake is negligable weight and while I don't use it in the garage, I think it will be worth it for a newbie like me on the trail to reduce time, fustration and skinned nuckles.

I use the small motion pro irons and a KTM multi-wrench (4 wrenches in one, fits 17/21/27/32 mm)

"What are your friends going to carry?" Good one:thumbsup:

I will cut back to 2 irons since I have other tools and hopefully I can find a friend on the trail.

The ride organizers recommend two tubes but I think I will just carry one and count on my friends and patches. I have the 4" and 2" patches as well as the glueless 1" skabs.

I'm not sure I'm good enough to change tires on the trail with no lube. The last thing I need on a 6 hour, 100+ mile backwoods mountain ride is tube wrestling workout so I'm going with the small container of concentrated soap.

Thanks for the inputs.

Get rid of the CO2 ....... forget the lube and carry patches along with a front tube.

I carry 2 irons, both 9" long and I'll use the axle wrench to hold the bead down.

What are your friends going to carry?

I normally use just a little gatorade or whatever I have in my water pack. I only need to wet the tub a little so the tire iron doesn't pinch it. But then again, if I take my time that wont happen.

My last flat I had my patch kit and murphy's law got me. I ripped the stem off the tube. I was screwed.

Good advice on using the my axle wrench to hold the bead down. I normally carry a third tire iron that I keep my knee on while changing a tire. I can sae a few ounces.

I agree with the 'less is more' philosophy.. although the last flat i had it would have been nice to have a spare tube! But a warm tire comes off easily with just water, & a patch kit & small bicycle pump are adequate for most all situations. If the tube is shot, you can ride out with a flat, & just zip ties around the tire.. it helps hold it in place & keep shape.

I really like the aluminum motion pro tools.. I have 3. One has the back axle nut size, another has the front, the third is a 12/13 mm combo that does the rest of the nuts related to changing tires. I did a remove & patch on the road in about a half hour.. in full gear. I was able to find a plastic 5 gallon bucket to prop the bike up, but it collapsed & caused me more problems. On a remote trail, a log or rock would have to suffice.. you can also lean it against a tree with the kickstand holding it up, but be sure everything is stable.. it's a lot more work getting it up once it goes down.

For me, the essentials are:

For long, multi day rides:

zip ties!

combo tire irons, aluminum or titanium are lightweight & cool

tire patch kit

bicycle pump

For shorter day rides: just the zip ties.

The best option? Don't get a flat! One of the main reasons i switched to the teraflex rear tire is it's ride flat ability. But i'm over 12k miles on tflexes, & have yet to test them flat. but a front tire is much easier to deal with anyway.. easier to get off, easier to ride flat.. so my tflex is still doing it's main job.. keeping me from carrying a lot of heavy tire accesories.

172e.jpg

scotty:cool:

I always carry an old nose spray bottle filled with a solution of water and dish soap. Makes getting a tire back on a snap!

Tom

• Like 1